How do I go about this tactfully? (MIL and Facebook)

I only have close friends and family as "friends" on facebook - and I'm a very private person, and like to keep my info and pictures of my family and children to just the people who I am friends with.

EVERY time I post a new photo, or photo album on my facebook page, my MIL copy and pastes it to HER page.

So ALL of her friends and god knows who are let in to see MY private life and kids.

I don't know how to say to her that this isn't okay??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• i don't have facebook, but there should be some kind of setting to prevent people from downloading your pics
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• tell her straight out don't be puttin' my kids out online for the whole world to see if you care anything about them you'll respect my wishes
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• facebook is private to all people besides friends anyway unless she went out of her way and changed it.
    Anonymous

• just tell her. My mother does this too...with every flippin picture..it drives me insane.
    did you also know if one of your friends posts a comment to a picture, thier friends can see the picture if they click on it?....
    I dont' know how to turn that one off!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• wait, I thought of something...does she copy, paste and then upload your pics to hers? OR does she tag them? because you can remove the tag, and because you remove the tag, it won't allow her to tag them again!!!! she might get the hint then? lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• When you create albums you can choose CUSTOMIZE when setting the privacy and list you MIL as someone who cannot view the photo. I like how myspace made it so you can prevent people from using copy paste on photos. I realize it is harsh but hey if she cant follow your rules then so be it blockher from viewing them.

Sandy if you choose on the privacy "Only friends" then their friends should not be able to see when they post a comment to your photos. the only people who will see it are friends you have in common on your list.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• remove the headache all together and just one day BAM...delete her!! or delete your account, get a new account and dont accept her friend invitation OR delete her and then if she finds out and asks, say you accidently deleted her and have been too busy to go on facebook lately OR you could just tell her...to knock it off and get her own pics.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• when you upload pix you can set it so that certain people on your friends list can NOT access them (check your privacy setting). THAT said, i would also like to tell you that any time someone posts a comment on a picture or album, it appears on their wall and is visible to anyone who they are friends with- even with your privacy settings set to "friends only" it is not considered viewing YOUR picture, but HER comment.... just so you know, there really is no way to make FB completely private... it is a public forum, what you post may not be viewable on a mass scale, but is by no means protected either.

why not delete her? oops! oh, did i push the wrong button? oh. my. gosh! well, i'll just have to fix that, won't i? (yeah, when hell freezes over)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I always find the most direct solution is usually the best. JUST TELL HER! She likely has no clue it's annoying you...and you can't expect her to stop if you don't tell her to.

If she gets mad after you explain your concerns then..oh well. She'll get over it eventually.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 1:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• When I read this question I had to think if I wrote it. My MIL does the same thing and it drives me crazy but on facebook there isnt much to do about it.
    Anonymous