im trying to get furniture for my house! Any ideas of how i can?

I called Salvation Army, i called good will. for some reason free cycle doesnt want to work for me. Craigslist would be a possiblity but a lot of people on there want you to come pick it up and i have no way. Most of them are post an hour away. I need something by the 15th. my roommate here says i can take the crib for my son. but i dont have anything for my daughter and thats what im worried about

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• You could always put a mattress on the floor for now until you can afford to purchase a proper bed for your daughter. Perhaps co-sleep for a while if you have a bed? If you're worried about her falling off your bed, put the mattress on the floor. Maybe you could call some local church and see if someone would be willing to purchase you a bed as a Christmas gift for your daughter? In the meantime, layer the floor with many blankets if there's truly no beds. You can find air mattresses for cheap. Post on Craiglist that you're in need of a toddler bed and have no means to pick it up... there are many kind-hearted people out there who would be willing to help. Best wishes.
    Anonymous

• whereabouts are you?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• What size bed would your daughter need? If it is a toddler bed then Wal-mart sells pretty cheap toddler beds for around $50. If she needs a twin size bed, then check out Ikea. They have very reasonable prices for their furniture. Do you have any family members you could ask? Also, try the local thrift stores and second hand stores. They may have some furniture too. We got our leather couch set for $200 at a second hand store and everyone compliments us on it. They love it and most think that we spent over $1,000 on it. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Garage sales and digging through the trash! lol I'm not joking.
    My parents when we were younger used to go trash digging...not literally digging...but on trash days in rich areas, at night we used to drive up and down, and believe it or not, we got some great stuff!
    There was a couch my parents got that all that was wrong with it, was a small 3 inch slice on one of the bottoms of the cushions.
    One mans trash is anothers' treasure!
    Anonymous

• OP. i live in york sc. My daugter just needs a toddler bed shes a tiny 2 yr old. i honestly dont have the fifty dollars right now due to paying this months rent and safty deposit..
    Anonymous

• I do NOT recommend digging through trash. You have no idea why they are getting rid of the stuff. It may look of, buy could be full of fleas, lice, etc.

Check with churches, Salvation Army, Goodwill. You could try garage or rummage sales too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• There should be other second hand stores around your area. Go to google.com click on "Maps", then put in
    Second Hand Stores, [Insert city and state]
    There you can find stores around your area.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Is thier a deseret Industries in your area? The LDS church owns and operates these stores and people donate their things that aren't wanted anymore.. Sometimes you can stop and see people dropping items off I've had people approach me and ask me if I needed anything,one lady had tons of clothes that fit my son and a few toys and high chair also.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• For temporary basis use the couch with a bed rail so she doesn't fall out or turn the couch so it faces the wall.   

Anonymous