how can i help my 3 and 4 year old understand that they are going to be big brothers?

shannonsmom555

Asked by shannonsmom555 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my oldest 3 kids were 5, 4 and 3 I found out I was pregnant again (actually the younger two were still 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 at the time). From the moment we found out we involved them in talk about the new baby. Anything we did we asked them what they thought the baby would think of whatever it was or we talked about how things would be different the next year with the new baby (like when Christmas rolled around). We openly talked about names around them and they were allowed input (although I retained naming rights). We went through the baby aisle at stores and they picked out the clothes and toys they liked and wanted to get for the baby (never bought any of it, lol).
    We were at our local thrift store one day and someone had donated tons of those Teeny Beanie Babies that came in Happy Meals years ago. We picked up 3 teddies...one from each kid for the new baby to come and they put them up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We purchased books and talked about the baby all the time with them, I also took my boys to the sibling class at the hospital. I let them talk to my belly alot and they helped pick out toys and baby items. I made them as much apart of the whole process as I could and when it was time to go to the hospital I had to take the boys with me because hubby was out of town and rushing back so i had no sitter lined up. Luckily a few weeks before I had gotten canvas tote bags and filled them with snacks and drinks, a few new toys and coloring books. The bags were supposed to be a surprise for the boys for when the baby was born and to help keep them entertained while visiting, ended up being my life saver during labor. The nice thing is my boys walked the halls with me and then woke up moments after she was born so they felt like she was their baby too. Keep them invovled and talk daily about the baby with them it's a big help.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I waited until my belly was a little bump and I explain that my then 2yr old would be a big brother. It really helps to have them watch nick jr. speacials on having a new brother or sister. You can usually pick them up at wal-mart or go to nickjr.com
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2009