castor oil and nipple stimulation

im 41 weeks along and my dr is wanting to induce. (no medical reason). ive told him i want to try natural ways first and he suggested castor oil or nipple stumulation. ive tired both and have gotten some contractions but they faded off rather quickly. i was wandering what would happened if i tried a LITTLE bit of castor oil and some nip. stimulation? would i have a better chance? or is it dangerous to mix the two?

has anyone else done this? how long did it take to kick start labor? last time i was checked i was only a cm or 2 dialated and not effaced at all. but im cramping really bad and having runny stools, as well as feeling some preasure down there. but still no contractions or signs of labor

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your OB is a fkn quack to suggest taking the oil! Walk, walk walk and sex!
    Anonymous

• If you arent effaced at all, I would assume that your body is not ready for labor whether it be naturally or medically induced. There would be no danger in mixing the 2 any more than the danger that is there with castor oil. I am TOTALLY pro-induction, medically or naturally but I would personally not try castor oil. It passes to the baby & the baby could have a BM before birth and it can cause complications for your baby if they asperate the amniotic fluid with meconium in it. Thats just my personal belief on that one.

If you arent effaced, I would try evening primrose oil. It is known to help thin the cervix and that sounds like what you need right now rather than forced contractions. It doesnt cause labor but it helps get your cervix ready which will then allow for labor to happen.

Day 1- insert 1 gel tab into your cervix (as far as you can get it in there) 2 times a day. Every day after that...do 2 at a time
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• And I am 100% convinced that walking and sex dont help start labor! I was VERY dilated long before my DD was born and I would walk like crazy, especially once I started feeling a few contractions, and it didnt do anything for me. Walking doesnt really help unless you are already in the start of labor
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i dont know that mixing the two is the best of ideas. i know that nipple stimulation can cause really intense contractions, even if you dont think youre "over doing" it. and castor oil...i took that with my daughter and remember how strong those contractions were. so i personally cant see mixing them. but i cant say that its unsafe, because i dont know. id ask your dr before making the decision
    miss_hughes

Answer by miss_hughes at 2:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i agree with Jaydin_Makenna on the walking thing. its never done much for me except some contractions that faded away after i stopped walking.
    miss_hughes

Answer by miss_hughes at 2:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• There are things that might help. You could try these remedies alone or together.

But the bigger point is that you don't NEED to. Forcing your body and baby can be risky. You & baby don't need this, you're not having any complications or any reason to induce, why add unnecessary risks?
    I have done these things and since learned my lesson and become better educated. I now better understand the physiological & ethical concerns.

Your doctor wants convenience, bottom line. You want a safe & healthy experience/baby. So you have a different perspective.

You can refuse to force yourself & baby (from home-- remedies, and medically-- in the hospital).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009