2.5 year old vaginal yeast infection??

My daughter's vagina is totally red and she's complaining about it. I'm guessing it could be a yeast infection, because she had diarrhea about 7-10 days ago and had it a couple times in her sleep -- we were checking her every few hours through the night so she never slept in it for too long, but she wasn't waking up from it so maybe an hour at a time. (She's not used to having any poop against her skin because she's been potty trained for a long time). Has anyone had a daughter with this kind of infection? What was the treatment? I have an appointment for my other daughter on Tuesday, but should I have her checked before then? There's no fever, but it looks really bad. And I have been trying to get her to eat a lot of yogurt. Any advice?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 2:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ya get her checked.. heck my friends infant got a yeast infection from baby powder..so i dont use it anymore since that.. its crazy what can happen..call the dr and ask what to do until you can bring her in...
    Anonymous

• It may just be a reg. rash from the diareah and or not cleaning herself well. I would put diaper cream on it and make sure to clean and pat her dry really well and see if it gets better on its own b/f going for yeast infection.
    Unless she was on antibiotics -- then I would lean more towards yeast infection -- I give my kids a probiotic when they have to take antibiotics b/c of that.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Related question... should I not put her in the bath with my other daughter to keep my other daughter from getting it?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No antibiotics -- but it's red on the inside of the labia and on the vaginal opening -- I don't think I'm supposed to put diaper rash cream there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Is there a probiotic supplement I can give besides yogurt? Yogurt makes her gag... I've been getting her to choke down a little at a time, but I feel so bad about it!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• keep up the yogurt, my daughter used to get them and the doctor gave us a cream for it that worked well. if she is uncomfortable use cool rags that she can lay against her skin. If you have a urgent care you could always do a walk in visit sooner, otherwise just keep her clean and comfy till tuesday and keep the yogurt coming. You could also call your nurse in the morning if you dont have a nurses line to call on weekends and ask if over the couter creams is okay and which one they suggest you use till you see the doctor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I would call the pedi and ask if there is something you can do to ease discomfort and see if you can bring both kids on tues.
    Anonymous

• Diarrhea wouldn't cause yeast, it can cause other rashes from irritation or bacterial infections. I'd take her to the doctor first to double check the nature of the infection before trying to treat it.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I personally think that it may not be a yeast infection but maybe an uti: urinary tract infection. My daughter had the same problems when she was 3. The doctor told me it had happened where she had a bowel movement and did not wipe herself good and they seen what they call it is colon in her pea. They did in fact give her like a cream to put on their so I would take her to the doctor before starting to treat it yourself. Good luck sweety
    1inamillmom

Answer by 1inamillmom at 4:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Actually diarrhea does cause yeast rashes. Yeast naturally lives in our digestive tract and some gets flushed out during diarrhea because the bowels are moving so fast.  My boys get yeast rashes everytime they have diarrhea, so its not just a girl thing. It will be all over their groin, buttocks and scrotum. Get some over the counter yeast infection treatment (I get generic cheapo monostate), throw away the applicator, and apply it the EXTERNAL skin, just like you would diaper rash cream. Apply it at every diaper change. It should look significantly better after 24 hours, but keep using it until its all gone, then one more day after that to make sure you killed it all.

karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009