Is this OK or crossing the line?

Bill O'Reilly has targeted an elementary school in Massachusetts for daring to have a non-religious holiday fair.

Byam Elementary School banned all religious decorations from its Gift Room. It's the way they've done it for years; when the Parent Teachers Organization held meetings encouraging new people to get involved in the event and brainstorm about new ideas, no one but past volunteers responded. Then, once planning was underway, some families started complaining about the secular nature of the fair -- and quickly got their ire broadcast on talk radio.

So on Friday, in the spirit of Christmas, Fox News' O'Reilly aired a segment in which his ambushing and stalking producer, Jesse Watters, went to the school and harassed the superintendent. Via News Hounds:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/06/oreilly-ambushes-elementa_n_381756.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The law says you can't use federal funds (which means public schools) to forward any religious ideology. No one is taking Christmas away from children. The principal is totally within her right to maintain working policies that do not promote or deny religious freedom.

It's always the people who didn't participate from the on-set who bitch the most.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Are you asking if Bill ORielly or the school is crossing the line? The school is doing what's correct. ORielly is looking for a story to stir people up.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• He's obviously attacking non-Christians. What a douche. This isn't the first time he's said shit about religion and holidays. Pisses me off. He's merely catering to the religious right. He'll do whatever he has to to get good ratings.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Personally I think they should have incorporated ALL religious faiths, and all NON religious decorations. That way everyone is included and it provides an oppertunity of education and tolerance for everyone alike.

Do I think it's right to harrass ANYBODY? Nope. Infact I find THAT very detrimental to the holidays. And yes, that def. crosses a line.

Does having a 'Non Religious' Holiday affair cross a line? No. I think it's in poor taste because you loose such a wonderful oppertunity for learning and tolerance, however the community that is involved should be able to do whatever they want. If they want a party with religious undertones then THOSE people need to petition for it and be actively involved.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Oh good Lord! The school has a right to have a Holiday festival, and FOX has the right to question it and get responses from the people who made the decision. If you actually pay attention it's mainly about Santa and they BANNED candy canes! lol They thought not being allowed to have SANTA and Candy canes from their "gift store" was a bit far. I hate O'Reilly too but this is the DUMBEST post Sweet.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I say when other religions have a national/federal holiday established (no work/school at government/public institutions), THEN they can complain!

Christian holidays are the ONLY religious based ones this country has established....wonder why that is????  Because our founding fathers were Christian! 

If  the Jewish, Africans and Muslims, Pagans, Atheists, Buddists, etc., want their OWN national holidays--where they can decorate and sing in their traditional manner, then should petition for it!  Until then..............

wreath

Anonymous

• The founding fathers were not Christian. How many times must we go over this? Whatever preacher told you they were ALL Christian was lying out his ass.

Oh, and do I detect a staunch about of racism in your response? Africans? REALLY? They're not a religion.

Oh, and Christians STOLE Easter and Christmas from the pagans =)

And what about Halloween? That's obviously not a Christian holiday.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you too. I'm an atheist and I still say that! Oooooh! Scary! Whatcha gonna do about it, coward? Pray to your little deity to strike me down? Do it. Please. I beg you. I'll be waiting.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Oh, and do I detect a staunch about of racism in your response? Africans? REALLY? They're not a religion.

i was referring to kwanzaa, you dolt.

and in your naive, think you know it all, 21 year old mind, explain to me then why christmas and easter are the only nationally recognized federal holidays?

there are certainly plenty of jewish, african american (feel better?), muslim, pagan, buddist and what not religions in this country. why, if we're no longer a christian nation (thanks to oblowme) do we not celebrate the other holidays at the federal level?
    Anonymous

• *meant to say nationally recognized RELIGIOUS holidays.
    Anonymous

• Christian denominations are: Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Anglican/Episcopalian, Oriental Orthodoxy, Uniting Church in Australia. Apostolic Church, Baptist, Brethren, Church of Christ, Church of God, Congregationalist, Disciples of Christ, Lutheran, Mennonite, Methodist, Pentecostal and Assemblies of God, Presbyterian, Salvation Army, Seventh Day Adventist, and United Church of Christ.

The Founding Fathers religious affiliations were: Episcopalian/Anglican (88), Presbyterian (30), Congregationalist (27), Quaker (7), Dutch Reformed/German Reformed (6), Lutheran (5), Catholic (3), Huguenot (3), Unitarian (3), Methodist (2), and Calvinist (1)

Anonymous