at what age is it safe to let ur child not use a car seat anymore?

i have a 4 and ahalf step son and his mom and his dad say it is ok for him not to be in a car seat anymore but i feel he should atleast be in a booster seat. is it really ok for him not to be in a car seat? and what age do kids not sit in one anymore?

shannonsmom555

Asked by shannonsmom555 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that some are a little over protective..
    • Infants should be in an infant car seat placed in the back seat and be rear facing until their first birthday
    • A forward facing car seat can be used in the back seat for toddlers and preschool children until they are 3-4 years of age and at least 30 pounds (check with manufacturer’s guidelines for your particular car seat)
    • Booster seats can be used for children ages 3-4 and up until the child is age 6 and weighs at least 60 pounds

Just remember you can protect them to a certain extent if something is meant to happen it will.. No matter what kind of car seat they are in.. Stop being so hard each other.. The questions was should the child be in a restraint not lets get in an argument over who has what and does what with there child.. Oh yea no where does it say anything about height..
    missjenna21

Answer by missjenna21 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• he should at least be in a booster seat. I think it's 30 to 100lbs that your in a booster.
    I would check your local laws, because states vary.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I believe that it is 4'.9" to be in a regular seat.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My son will be in a booster until he is 6 years and almost 5 feet tall (57 inches) and 40 pounds according to my states laws. When he reaches all of the above requirements I will allow him to use a lap belt.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

By this my almost 12 yr old twins would still be in boosters, that's just mean. lol!
    I agree w/ checking your state laws though. Most kids that age do still need to be in something.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 3:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My son is 8 and a half and has outgrown his booster width wise(it pinches his legs at the hips)We just recently put him in the regular seat.He's like 4'3"
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It depends on the state laws. Some states do still say once they're 4 they don't have to be in one.

Our state law is 4'9" or 8 years.
    Anonymous

• By this my almost 12 yr old twins would still be in boosters, that's just mean. lol!

It may be mean, but if you get in a wreck and they have injuries from the seatbelt because they aren't tall/big enough to be riding without a booster seat... is it worth it?
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• At that age, I'd still have that child harnessed. Not everyone will agree. If he's 4 and 40lbs, he can be in a booster. I think he's definitely too small to be in just a regular seat belt.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Google it for your state..(if U haven't yet?)

Most state laws seem to be under 8 or under a certain weight height needs to be in a booster seat
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009