So, how long does this picky eater phase usually last?

Because I am wit's end. I dread meal times, because I'm sick of cleaning perfectly good food off the floor. She barely eats anything. It's been a few months now and I'm ready to snap. I find myself getting really pissed off inside at her throwing it all on the floor. Not only is she not barely eating anything, but it's wasteful and I'm sick of cleaning it. Sometimes I really just think to myself . . why bother feeding her? I might as well just throw it on floor and call it a day. I have decided that I will only give her a couple bites at a time . . . once the 4th or 5th hit the floor . . it's over . . . pack the rest up for her next meal because she had her chance to eat and she decided not to. What else can I do? I can't handle all the wastefulness!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You fix her what you want her to eat. If she does not eat it. Make her wait tell the next meal. She will get the drift that she will either eat or go hungry for a couple of hours.

Answer by louise2 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'm not sure all of what your doing, but don't let her drink juice in between meals. water water water. that's what my ped recommended to me and even if she eats a few bites, it's better than none. As long as she's not losing weight, she should be fine.
    Invest in some vitamins so she's getting at least some nutrients in her.
    I'm kinda in the same boat..my daughter never eats huge meals...but we're getting better.
    Hope this helps!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I don't give her juice at all . . . ever.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Oh and I only give her milk after meals. I bought some pediasure as a last resort, but I don't give it to her until the end of the day if I feel she hasn't eaten enough . . . which is pretty much every damn day. I could really cry from frustration.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• serve milk with dinner - but make her eat a bite before drinking any.

but picky eating doesn't just magically end at any time. my girls were picky, then saw friends in school eating and have ventured into new foods. they do get picky on occasion but we have a rule - take a bite and if you really hate it then you don't have to eat it. but there's always something familiar on the plate.

oh and mine are 8,6, and 3.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• That's the thing. It's not that she "doesn't like" the food. She'll eat it one day and then not eat at all the next. One day, she'll gobble broccoli and then turn her nose up to it. These are all foods that she has already had and I know she likes. The only food I have never seen her turn down is lo mein, but I can't feed her lo mein all the time . . that's just silly. I swear this kid is trying to starve herself.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• GIRL I BEEN THERE ! MY 13 YEAR OLD DOUGHTER IS STILL A PICKY EATER ! ! I GAVE UP A LONG TIME AGO AND THE DR SAID AS LONG AS SHES EATING DONT WORRY ABOUT IT ! ! DO WHAT I DO JUST KEEP HER FOOD THAT SHE EATS AROUND AND SHE WILL BE HAPPY ! GOOD LUCK ! !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 8:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It depends on how you handle it. It can last a few days or it can last a lifetime. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

• My daughter is only 17 months old . .. way too young to be fixing herself anything or to even really understand the 3 bite rule.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2009