12 month old food question

My daughter just turned 1 and I feel like she is way behind in her eating habbits. She is on formula now and still loves it. she will eat her regular pureed baby food but when I try to give her finger food she won't eat anything. I guess I'm supposed to be trying to get her off formula and to whole milk but I'm waiting because she doesn't eat enough table foods to get all the nutrition she needs. Is this normal? Will she eventually just start eating food or is there something I can do?
ps- she could eat graham crackers and cream cheese all day if she could. help!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck, I'm still struggling with my 17 month old. If she could live on milk, she would. I'm ready to lose it over here.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• my daughter was too...I wouldn't worry about it too much though....
    I'd cut down on the formula feedings because that does fill her up more than regular milk.
    Offer table foods FIRST at meal time.
    Try eating some of the food yourself as well...say spagetti chopped up into small pieces...eat and say yum yum and feed her or let her feed herself...
    Feed her the food that she eats pureed, so if it's green beans, do tiny green bean bites...and so on.
    you can buy little puffs at walmart or the store or something, that melt in her mouth and maybe offer that to get her hand coordination up to par if it isn't.

Hope this helps!!! xo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• This is pretty normal for a 1 year old, especially when started on purees. Just continue giving her finger foods when she's interested. She'll get there.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Stop giving her baby food and start fixing her a plate of what you're eating. She's more likely to eat what's before her if she sees the adults in her life eating it too.

You're doing the right thing not to get rid of the formula yet...however, don't let it be her MAIN thing through the day...cut it back so it's more like a drink with her meals.
    Anonymous

• Purees are food. No problem. Cow milk is no better than formula. No problem. She's still a baby. No problem. This is normal child led solid behavior and it's fine.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you really want to get her onto solids, try things like spaghetti, ravioli and other things that are chunky (think 3rds foods) Maybe the mixtures will be more appetizing to her.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009