can my 13 yr watch my 11yr and 2 yr

sweettroy43

Asked by sweettroy43 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on maturity,and for how long.So....maybe.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Is she mature enough to do it? My daughter's sitter is 14 and she the perfect sitter but before herm we had a 17-yr-old sitter. Totally immature and reckless. So I think it depends on how mature she is.

Are you thinking of paying her to do it?
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Legally yes,it is all about the maturity otherwise.If you are paying her my sis did this make the 11 yr old the asst. sitter mostly she takes care of herself acts like a babysitter no squabbles etc. and helps a bit with the youngest.My sis would pay a dollar or two.It was worth it -no sibling squabbles.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't put that kind of pressure on a 13 year old. Hormonal teens aren't known for their common sense and patience, you know? Just being honest here.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't trust such a young child with other children. That is just me. A teen doesn't have a fully develop brain yet. But hey if you feel comfortable that's up to you..
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• IF U LIVE IN TEXAS STAT LAW IS IF U HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD AND OTHER KIDS THAT ARE YUNGER , THE 13 YEAR OLD CAN WATCH THE OTHER KIDS WHILL U ARE GONE ..
    Anonymous

• In my state, Colorado, this would be legal. However, for myself personally, I would wonder about the dynamics between the 13 and 11 year old while I was gone. They are so close in age and the 11 year old may get the 'you can't boss me' kinda thing going on in resentment of not being left in charge. Maybe leave a 'to do' list for the two oldest to keep them occupied and too busy to nit pick each other?
    Anonymous

• I would say no because of the 2 year old. That is a handfull for a 13 year old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• "Legally" it depends on the state. Morally and otherwise, totally! I was taking babysitting jobs when I was 11. But I was also VERY mature. I think like the one mom already said, it's totally about their maturity, as well as the dynamic between the 13 and 11 year olds. Because you will get some of the "you are the boss of me business" if the 13 year old isn't mature enough.
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 5:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a 13 year old in charge of a 2 year old. Frankly, my third child is 2 and sometimes I'm still nervous. What if the two year old chokes? What if the two year old takes a bad fall? What if the two year old gets into something poisonous? The only sitters I like for my 2 year old are full grown adults that have had their own children.
    Anonymous