Should I let my 9 year old daughter read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn?

tinkerbell9742

Asked by tinkerbell9742 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she likes reading I don't think it would be bad..
    Anonymous

• I haven't read them so I can't say for those specific books. But I do remember reading books with "adult content" when I was her age. It pretty much just went over my head. I reread some of Judy Blume's book as an adult and laughed at how I didn't realize some of what was going on. Tell her if anything is confusing to ask you about it, not her friends. I personally would have my child get information from books than other sources.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I've read all the books, and IMHO 9 is too young
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 4:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't.... it's too mature for a 9 year old... have you read them??? The one book talks about the first time they have sex and the books in general have a strong sexual theme as well as a lot of violence. I think it was the last book book where Jacob is in LOVE with a baby! How would you explain that to a 9 year old?
    They are great books... but I think she is a little young... I would wait at least a few years if she is still interested... or read them together and be able to answer her questions when they come up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• 9's a bit young
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

•   English TEACHERS are so excited by these books b/c it's bringing younger children back to reading. Definitely let her read them.Nine is NOT too young, I've always been a reader and at NINE I was reading Steven King, it set up a lifetime of reading for me.

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I would not let my 9 year old read breaking dawn . My daughter reads a lot and breaking dawn, while a fantastic book, brings a little bit too much sex into the mix. I know the sex is a bit more understated but its still there. And well the part when someone is being ripped open and having kids...its more then I want her to read right now :P
    gmdrop

Answer by gmdrop at 8:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It depends on her maturity level. My niece is 12 and when she was 9, it would have been ok. My friends 14, it wouldn't be appropriate for her due to maturity and mental health issues. I would think it would be ok, especially if you read them with her. You could discuss anything that she has questions about. Remember, she is your child and you know what she can handle and what is best for her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Although Meyer promotes abstinence until marriage in her books, the sexual themes are probably a little too strong for 9. However, your daughter is probably about to go through the "sex talks" in school and the discussion of abstinence in the books might open up the topic for you two to discuss together. She's your daughter and you know her best--do you think she's mature enough to understand?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think it would be fine. I've read them all and as far as the whole "sex" thing goes. There is no detail given into it.
    She'd have already experienced more from television.

As long as she knows she can come to you with any questions she might have then I don't see a problem with it.
    And no Jacob is not "in love with a baby" in the last one. He has "imprinted" with the baby meaning that he will be protective of her for her entire life and when she reaches the appropriate age then and only then will a romantic relationship start.
    According to the books, it's basically like finding your soulmate at the very first moment you see them. It's not like there's pedophilia in the books.
    Seriously.

Agreed about the Judy Blume books too. I read them as a kid and didn't think too much about it, reread them as an adult and saw how much actually went over my head.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2009