can i ask to be induced at 38 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My doctor said he wouldn't induce me till 39 weeks. I think now they like for your body to be prepared for it (have to be dialated or effaced some) otherwise they say a c-section is more likely.
    princess8120

Answer by princess8120 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2008

• You can ask but I doubt many Dr's will actually do it. My question is why do you want to be induced? There's a reason women are pregnant for 40 weeks. Just because at 38 weeks you're technically full term doesn't mean the baby is ready to be here. You're only a few weeks from the baby arriving and now it's time to just be patient. If there's a medical reason for wanting to be induced, I'm sure your Dr would have already brought up induction and be the one suggesting it. Induction isn't fun... the pitocin is known to cause stronger more painful contractions and women who are induced are more likely to require a c-section like the PP said. Talk to your Dr and see what they say. It never hurts to ask...
    Jess6700

Answer by Jess6700 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2008

• Probably not. But I've had 6 children. I was induced 4 of those times (not because I asked to; it was due to complications; I had low fluid and IUGR) and I never even came close to having a c-section. Gee, I must be a miracle then cause that really goes against the odds right? lol really though as uncomfrotable as you maybe its best to let nature decide when the baby comes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2008

• As an L&D nurse I see inductions on a daily basis. Yes you can be induced at 38 weeks but the stats are that if you go through an induction where your body isn't ready you will end up with a c/s about 60% of the time... Inductions are hard long drawn out processes, if at all possible wait for labor to begin on its own... Good luck!
    LDMommyRN

Answer by LDMommyRN at 12:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2008

• You can ask, but don't expect them to say yes. They can always refuse if things are going fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2008

• I'm sure you have reasons for asking... But Mother Nature knows what she's doing, honey. I know you're probably ready to get that baby OUT! But an uncalled for induction is not the healthiest way to start your new baby's life. Please think about sticking it out to full term.

Good luck.
    BobaFetsHelmet

Answer by BobaFetsHelmet at 2:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2008