My daughter's teacher talked to them about Jesus in class and how being religious will send you to heaven.

I am religious and I teach my daughter about Jesus and pretty much tell her what her teacher told them. But is it appropriate for a teacher to say sth like that? I mean, there are parents who don't want their kids to be religious. Shouldn't the teacher/school respect that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yeah, she could be in a lot of trouble because of that.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Unless it's a religious school, then no I don't think they are allowed to say stuff like that.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 4:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't be so quick to assume she really said it exactly that way. She could have easily been talking about different religions and different beliefs and not said point bank, "this IS the way it is." Kids get things mixed up a lot of the time and aren't always able to repeat things as they were said, but rather as they THOUGHT they were said. It probably wasn't a wise choice for a lesson in a public school, but what she actually said may have been within the acceptable range.
    Anonymous

• You can not cross church with state. You can contact the superintendent of schools in your town and find out if she is in violation. SHe could get a verbal warning. But then again who knows nowadays. GL.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i would be upset, i'm a christian but that's me and hubby's job to teach our children about God, not the teachers.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If the teacher brought it up then she was out of line. You're right she needs to respect each parent's right to raise their children.

However, as a teacher, I have to say that around the holidays class discussions often go in that directions. Students share religious views all the time. When my kids bring it up I never disagree with them or say they are wrong. If the another student brought it up and the teacher supported that student I wouldn't have an issue with it.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 4:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• What kind of school is it? If public, she's way out of line. If private and not religious, she's way out of line. If private and religious, she's probably okay.
    Anonymous

• if its private its whatever if its public is "could" be an issue but not necessarily.... as a teacher and a mom I've heard some interesting things come from my kids mouth that I KNOW are not exactly the way the teacher put it but it was the way HE/SHE heard it: for example: a cross is God's T' burrito means 'spank yourself on the butt" etc. these are the most memorable/recent.

During this time there tends to be discussions about religion b/c of the holidays. If you truly feel uncomfortable you could bring it up in an easy going way.... but..... especially with our age kids I would not assume that what they heard was exactly what was said.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• GOOD FOR HER! I really don't care about people being offended. If they are offended because of the TRUTH than so be it. Jesus himself offended people by just BEING.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Before you even consider saying anything to anyone relating to the school about this, please talk to the teacher. You don't know the whole story or the context in which it was said. There are crazy people out there who would start a witch hunt over a huge misunderstanding and then she'd end up losing her job.

BTW...there is no federal rule about separating "Church and State." It may be a rule in individual schools or even individual states, but it's nothing nationwide.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2009