Do you have nannies/baby sitters?

I want to hire one, part-time, but I can't seem to leave my dd with a strainger... Nanny cam won't help me. I don't won't anything bad to happen to her. If something DOES happen, having it on tape won't help me at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. For the same reasons you mentioned. I don't trust strangers with my children. The only people that babysit are close/immediate family members--and mostly it's my 76 year young MIL! :o)

You're best bet is to ask your neighbors who THEY use, and then call that person, ask them about their experience, and if you like them on the phone, arrange to meet them in person, and with your children, so you can gauge how she is with the children, and if the children are receptive to her. Children are great. They can sense a warm "kid-friendly" person a mile away! Oh, and trust your gut!

If you THINK you like the person, an they like your children, try a little "test." Have the sitter watch your children for a couple of hours while you do errands. Tell her you'll be back at say 5PM, but come home at 4PM, and see if you "catch" anything odd or obnoxious going on! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I have been looking for a babysitting job! I posted it on LejueneYardSales.com but I kept getting "red flagged" because I dont have a proper childcare license! Before my husband joined the USMC I used to babysit 3 boys back home in Indiana on the weekends and 2 girls on the weekdays. I took childcare development classes and CPR classes (its expired though). I have a 9 month old son I am strongly attached to and wanted a job where I could stay with him! Anyways message me if you would like! I wish you luck though!
    babymarine0307

Answer by babymarine0307 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No, I don't have a nanny or a regular sitter. When I do need childcare, my first choice is my mom or dad, and my next choice are my two good mom friends. It can be hard to find someone you are comfortable with. Do you have any friends or family members who you already have a good relationship with who can offer childcare when you need it?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We've had an au pair living with us for the past 2 and a half years and it's great! Of coursem we went through hell until we found the right girl.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 5:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I have nanny pt while I go to school. I prefer family as opposed to a stranger but in my case I have no choice. We live far away from family. So I went thru a vigorous process of screening, background checks on all potential nanny. I used a site called care.com, it was helpful. Talked via email, then phone interview.narrowed down my search by having f to f interviews. When I did choose I started her off by coming a couple hrs a wk with me and my DD to allow us to all become more comfortable. After a few days I gradually would leave them alone an hour here and there and eventually I had to start school and leave them completely. It made things easier for DD and I. Also one huge thing was when I interviewed them in person I would observe how my DD would react with them. She doesn't go with anyone ever other than my SO and I and there was one she loved immediatlely. That's when I knew I found the right one. Good luck
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 7:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2009