Anyone else not so crazy about their stepkids sometimes?

We have my 8yo stepson every Thur-Sun. We didn't have him for Thanksgiving this year, and honestly, it was nice to get a break for a week. I know I'm not the only one that enjoys a break from their stepkids once in a while, but it seems that every time I bring it up, I get bashed in some group or another.
He has some behavior issues, and was recently diagnosed with mild OCD. We almost constantly have to monitor his behavior or tell him to stop doing this or that, etc. and it's exhausting for the both of us. Being nearly 7 months pregnant, it's especially exhausting for me, physically and emotionally, and I am worried it will get worse when the baby comes. We have been seeing a therapist about this and she helps a little bit, but her help is dependent on how much stepson feels like cooperating.
So I'm sorry if I sound like an ungrateful stepparent, but I do like having a break sometimes. Anyone else out there agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• did your husband not tell you he had a kid until after you married him?
    Anonymous

• I understand you completely, I have a 9yo stepson & he is bad as hell!! Its like when he comes over Dh acts differently with my son and his. I know that they are 4 years apart, and he is not my sons bio dad. But damn when we got married I did not think it was going to be like this.
    Anonymous

• Yea, I agree cause sometimes I feel that way with my own..And anyone that says otherwise is lying. Either that or  their kids are not old enough yet that they feel they need that break..YET!!

Anonymous

• I have a 12-yr-old stepdaughter and I have never felt like that. She has been living with me and her dad for 3 years and we have an amazinf relationship. Actually, she's the one who hooked her dad and me up! Her mom passed away when she was only 4 and she needed a woman in the house. And we really have an amazing relationship, I love her as much as I love my biological daughter who is now 2.
    Anonymous

• I too agree with you a break at times are nice (but they go fast!)! My Step son is 8 yrs old and he is an only child with his mother by her and it is only him and her then he comes to our house, we have 2 daughters and my husband and me. He is use to being the center of attention and getting what he wants always! It gets frustrating at times but I just move forward and try to do my best for him,our daughters and our situation! It can be hard but just think if you were in his situation! You would want to see your father or mother too! Good Luck!:)
    Anonymous

• I guess you'd better hope you aren't blessed with a special needs child, because you can't send it away half a week.
    Anonymous

• I understand your feelings but you did marry the guy-family and all. Many women don't get that when they marry a guy with kids-it's a package deal and requires alot more patience and love. Try and make the best of the situation-your hubby will appreciate the effort and your step-son will respond better....his behavior may be a reflection of the resentment he feels coming from you. You will have to find a way to make peace with it...
    Anonymous

• anon 426--that is just plain mean. Grow up.
    Anonymous

• I don't have step children but what I can say is your own kids will drive you crazy also, mine do.. always have LOL.. They are kids and this one has special needs and yes I know what that is like my youngest is also. Does he drive me crazy, yep, but I still love him very much and keep working on his issues until he can be the best he can be. From your post it doesn't sound like you have children so you are kinda biased on the subject because you don't have your own children to drive you crazy yet, but it will happen. Chances are things might get alittle worse when the baby gets her, just remember your SS still needs you and needs to know that even when he is a pain you DO still love him, pick your battles!!!! Hang in there mom!!! Not bashing you at all.. Just kinda FYI lol.. Kids are born to drive their parents crazy :) Some just worse than others..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You would enjoy a break from the kid even if he was yours. Kids with behavior problems can be stressful. Maybe talking to his mother and syncing up his routine.

Anonymous