Wearing Sports Bras & Breastfeeding

So I have been wearing sports bras and I am breastfeeding my daughter. I was told on another board that wearing sports bras while breastfeeding will decrease your supply. They said that it binds your breast and stops milk production. I was wearing them bc they are comfortable and easy for me to get out to get her latched on.
So have you ladies heard anything like this and what do you ladies think? Should I go and buy new nursing bras( I hope not bc they are too expensive).
Thanks ladies

Married2daBest

Asked by Married2daBest at 4:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as they are the right size and not too tight, they should be fine. If you notice pain, like clogged ducts, or a drop in supply, stop wearing them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I hadn't heard of it, but it does make sense, since sports bras are made to help support by a mild compression. However, if you are doing OK with your milk supply I'd say don't worry about it and keep using them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• A bra can't stop production. That makes no sense. If ANY bra is TOO tight, then you have a problem.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• no way, I wore whatever felt most comfortable! I wore a sportsbra the whole time I was breastfeeding my daughter...I had more than enough milk!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Thanks, the other board had me worried a bit. I did have a change in what I was able to pump, but it varies what I can pump out at a time.
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 4:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I just googled the question, and if the bra is too constrictive, it seems that it might slow down milk supply, so if yours aren't too tight it should be OK, in my opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 4:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Remember that how much you pump means nothing in regards to how much you make.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Alrighty thanks, it is kind of tight, but then again sports bras are made to be tight. I think I mught just go up a size and that should work.
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 4:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If a sports bra is too confining, it can lead to clogged ducts and maybe even a mastitis infection.

You do not need nursing bras. I hate nursing bras. When my milk comes in I go from a 34 C to a 34 H and nursing bras do not support my large chest (my breasts just sag and lap over the band). I just wear regular good supportive bras and lift up one side to nurse.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• What about underwires I heard that they are not good also. That was the main reason why I went out and got a bunch of sports bras
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 4:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2009