Is it the "terrible twos" or a more serious problem?

My 26 month old DS has always been one of those "easy babies", for the most part. Easy to get to sleep, good eater, agreeable, pleasant, etc... But in the last few days he's been in what I can only describe as a 'bad mood'. He seems angry... He is acting very contrary, gives me dirty looks and ignores me when I ask him to do something, or even when I or anyone else tries to play w/ him. He says he's hungry constantly, but won't eat more than a bite or two of what I give him, even if its something he asked for. He lays down on the floor for no reason and GLARES at people, he is being difficult about naps and bedtime, and just seems generally upset. He doesn't seem sick - no fever or cold symptoms - and he's already got his teeth. He's never acted this unpleasant or upset before. Is it normal toddler stuff, or does this sound like a behavioral issue coming up? Oh- and no life recent changes or things to overwhelm him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine were great in the 2's but the 3's were awful. It all mellowed out though by 4.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Sounds like my 30 month old. He too was SUCH an easy baby and young toddler but has gotten increasingly "difficult" over the past 6 months. He loves to yell, "I'm mad at you!! Fo-evah!!" and hit. He goes from angry to sweet to angry...all.day.long. It's the two;s....we have to nip it now before they hit the tumultuous three's!!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 4:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If there's no reason or trigger, it's normal. My darling 2 yr old is exploring her emotions too.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you get a strange feeling about it, it may be worth a call to the dr. I'm not experienced with that age enough to know, but my son was acting up one week and people just kept telling me it was normal- until I called the dr in TEARS and they took him in, turns out he had a lot of pressure built up in his ears, causing a lot of pain. My friend's son went through a similar thing at one and a half, and was unbearable- she took him to the dr and they said it was behavioral, nothing to be worried about. It just depends on your gut instinct I guess. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It's a hard call. I would give the doc a call and ask his opinion. It sounds like the "Terrible Two's", but it sounds more like he's experincing something more emotional.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2009