Do you think the President (any) should be trying to please all Americans, or only the ones who voted him in to office?

Lately, on CM and in news sources I see the general dissent that our current President is doing very little to support the ideologies or policies that the people who voted for him would like to see, and is instead trying to please only the other side.

But don't people feel that the President (any president) should be trying to represent ALL the American people? Not just showing favouritism to those who voted for him? I understand the neccesity of sticking to your campain promises, but aside from that....

And on a second note, how can we be sure what all the other Americans who voted him in really wanted anyways?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't vote for a President who I think will "please me". I vote the person whom I think will take care of our country in the best way possible. I wouldn't want to make the decisions that the President has to make. I want someone who will stand up for what he believes in, be able to communicate what he believes in a way that will convince people to vote "his"' way and get the jobs done that need to be done. No president will ever be able to "please" MOST of the people at any one time, in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• There shouldn't be "another side". Ultimately we are all Americans with a vested interest in this country. He should be a good steward of the monies we pay to support the government (not the people but the government). The taxes were never collected to be given away to anyone. They are our contribution to pay for the running of our country. He should be a good ambassador of our country and never make it look weak or indecisive. He should always make us his first concern and not worry how or what any other country thinks. This particular president whats to .............. he wants to give us away to whoever will walk through the huge open door he propped open. He has given every penny we had away, printed more, apologized to anyone who would stand still and listen, and made our military look like they are weak. He doesn't have the US's best interest at heart.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yes, I think that a President should try to represent all the people and not just his "party". He should compromise, and lead this country as a leader and not as a dog on a leash.

Anonymous

• Yes, but I don't see a point in "trying to please" the opposing RADICALS. You just can't.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• He can't govern by poll and shouldn't be trying to PLEASE anyone. He was democratically elected and should make teh decisions that are best for the country. In 4 years, if the people don't like it, they can vote someone else in

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• A US President should do their job for the PEOPLE of the US. Not the union groups. Not the community organizations who helped get them elected. Not Corporations who just so happened to donate copious amounts of cash to their campaign. Not elitest fundraising guru socialities who raise major money, then secure themselves a 'position' in the WH...This corporate, special interest cronyism is getting WORSE, not better.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It is not the job of the President to please people.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 6:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• He was the one who said he was going to be bipartisan....it was a big push during his campaign, and amazingly I have yet to see his bipartianship come out. No it is not his job to please people his job is to do what is best for our country as a whole. and i don't see him doing that.
    sketel03

Answer by sketel03 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

I totally agree. There is no pleasing some people so why bother trying?
    Anonymous

• The president is supposed to do what is best for everyone, not just a few.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2009