What can I do about my gossipy MIL?

My MIL had a disagreement w/ her daughter and decided to forward all the emails between them to everyone in the family. Her older son then sent back a nasty email to his sister for upsetting his poor mommy. Then he began to say stuff about me. He lives in another state and the things he was saying were things that only my MIL would know. So she is going around talking about me and saying bad things like I don't believe in God (which is NOT true). She made that statement to my husband a few months back and he thought it was funny. I sent her an email then very nicely telling her I do and that my relationship with God is mine and I don't have to justify it to her. I told her that it was between me and God and that it's not her place to judge other people. That was it. She hasn't spoken to me since then. She is such a known gossip that she was asked to leave her church for talking about fellow parishioners! Yes, it's THAT BAD!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Ignore her. If people know how she is and still believe her then it's their problem. You do not have to justify yourself to anyone

Answer by admckenzie at 4:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You've done what you could, now don't respond to any further accusations.

Answer by Bmat at 4:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• sounds like someone needs a smackdown! j/k- you can call her out nicely and honestly. sometimes people need to be told about themselves to get the point. but, i understand how hard it is b/c my aunt is the same way- i love her to death but she can be bitchy, whiny, all about me me me, and VERY freaking gossipy. shell do it just out of earshot with the 'gossipee' in the room. and you cant say anything to her b/c it'll start WW3!
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies. I think at this point I will choose to ignore her. I have been fuming all day about her and her son and it has ruined my whole day. If I just don't react to it then I can pretend they don't exist (which would be really nice!) ;0) It still just frustrates the heck out of me though! Oh well, what can you do?
    Anonymous