troubles with newborn sleeping

I have a 2 week old baby boy and for the life of me I cannot get him to sleep on his back, I know thats the best way for him to sleep. I can get him to sleep in his cradle swing or bouncy chair for about 1 hour at a time but no longer than that, or he will sleep for up to 3 hours laying on my chest. Any suggestions??

AshleyBishop06

Asked by AshleyBishop06 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby didn't sleep on her back until she was between 4 and 8 weeks old (I can't remember exactly). Before that she HAD to sleep on her side. She also does not like the swing. At that age she slep the best on a surface that felt like she was being carried. So I tried to duplicate that or wrapped her in a sling wrap. We got a infant to toddler rocker seat that reclines flat and has a nice dip for her to snuggle into and she sleeps in that when not in bed for the night in our bed with us (she's 10 1/2 weeks old now)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• swaddle?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'll be honest. My firstborn slept on his stomach. It was the only way he was comfortable. We started with laying him on his tummy when we put him to bed. Once he was out cold we would flip him. He started turning over very early - he hated his back so much.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• he HATES to be swaddled, he likes to have his hands free to suck on, so every time we swaddle him he totally freaks out
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I just coslept.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 5:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I put mine on his stomach. He want from sleeping 10 minutes tops, to sleeping for 3 hours. Oh, and he didn't end up gagging on his spit up to the point of choking, either!

I didn't mess around with the rest...right to the stomach.
    Anonymous

• My first wouldn't sleep on his tummy, so he slept on his side. I think they have positioners for that now, but they didn't 12 years ago so we just rolled up a blanket to put behind him and he slept fine.

Answer by missanc at 8:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009