Embarassing labor question.....

OK So my SIL has been making fun of me for having a bowel movement while pushing. She asked her mom if she done that when she had her 3 kids she said no she had never heard of it. I hear it is a very common thing so who all had that happen to you? Is it gross or no big deal are you embarassed about ti or do you not care??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not embarrassed! Yeah it happened :). The midwife said it happens like 90% of the time with the babies she delivers.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yeah it happened to me too...at least with my twins it did. I dont think it happened with my youngest, but then again, I was just relieved when she was finally out! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i had an emergency c section but i was dialated to a 10 and i remember saying i've either got to shit or this baby is coming out right now" while they were wheelin me back to the operating room...and they were sayin "no, dont push..hold it in"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I havent had that happen that I know of but I think it is pretty immature of your SIL I mean really what is she 7? I wouldnt be embarassed its not like you had control over it and it happens every day to women it is very common. I have one of those MIL's that has never heard of things happening so they must not be true.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'm not embarassed. It was during LABOR for crying out loud!!!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 5:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• They are either not well informed, have little exposure to birth, had an enema, are lying, too embarrassed to be honest, or a combo of the above, lol!
    Yes, it happens a lot in birth. I have done it, I have seen others do it. I have cleaned it up many times... I know that other doulas, midwives, nurses, moms have seen it-done it-never even gave it a second thought. Definitely NORMAL. It means a baby is coming down and whatever might be in the way has to come out first.

Are you being teased for another reason, maybe? (Their own insecurites, perhaps??)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yes, it is common but most women don't even know it happened because the staff is so good at taking care of ti without others knowing. Also when the baby is crowning it DOES feel like you have to have a really huge BM, that is one of the major cues you give to the staff that the baby is coming LOL, most of the time it is the baby's head and not a BM. Because the feeling is the same alot of women think they had a BM when they didn't or they thought it was the babies head but it was a BM..No way to know for sure unless the DR, Nurse or a family member tells you afterwards that you had pushed out a little extra other than the baby. SHAY that's why they told you not to push because it was the baby's head... I had 3 kids vaginally and I have no clue if I did or didn't, my hubby was the catcher for all three and he never said anything. And thinking back, at that moment I didn't care one way or another.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I don't know if it happened. I didn't feel it and nobody said I did and I forgot to ask. I did try to push more properly and not with the muscles I use to go to the bathroom, but I have no idea if that mattered. That's really crappy (ha!...ok no ha) of SIL to be saying that. Its just a part of it and its so no important when you're in the moment. My SIL is a NICU nurse and she told me that they have this kinda sloping thing under the mom's bottom that drops right into a trash bin so its gone in a second if you do. That made me feel better. Trust me, your body isn't your own the second you check into delivery, so while it all sounds bad now, it really doesn't matter once you're there.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I did for all three. its totally NORMAL. the nurses just keep wiping you down as things progress....

thats so very immature and rude of your SIL.

all kinds of icky stuff comes out of you during labour and delivery - thats why there's that BIG soaker thingy, and that rack of towels and cloths and stuff in the room (my first kid I thought they just stored that huge rack in the room - but by the end of my labour it was empty).

ditto everything that Mrs Pulley said....your body is no longer under your control - its under the control of nature and has been happening for a millenia.

so I say...POOP AWAY! and go tell your SIL to grow up.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Most of the time, they (drs & nurses) don't even let you know that you've done it. They just clean it up and keep on going.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2009