should i buy her a gift?

I babysit a 2 year old boy I have a 4 year old little girl so for xmas last year i bought the little boy something from my child then when the mom of the boy saw the gift under the tree she told me that her older child that is 8 got my child something my child never sees her older child except when they pick up the 2 year old so i had to go out and buy her a toy as well last year. This year I was hoping not to have to get the older one something just b/c i don't have the extra cash what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Holidays

• Maybe make her something? have your daughter make her something. If you get beads and string, she can make her a bead bracelet or necklace. That only costs around $5 typically, and your daughter will have so much fun making it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Or if you don't even want to do that, then simply explain to the mom that you are only buying for your daughter this Christmas.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Maybe buy a kiddie movie or something you can say is for both kids? Then you wouldn't be spending anymore and the older child won't feel left out.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You're not obligated to buy the older boy something. You babysit the younger one and that's why you bought him something. Even if she bought your child a toy, you are still not obligated to return a gift.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'd buy something that could be for both kids, like a movie...and put both of their names on it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I WOULD BUY HER SOMETHING. Even if it just from the dollar store. Buy five or so small things and put them together as one gift in a bag. Easy solution if you ask me.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 8:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You should buy her something. Trust me if she is babysitting she is much more strapped for cash than you are. If you really can't afford it at least do a joint gift like movie tickets for the three of them or something. Its the nice thing to do.
    Anonymous