How do I get my son to sleep in his own bed without freaking out?

This is the first place in 5 years that we have lived where he has his own room and bed. The problem is he won't sleep in it now. He was doing pretty good then it all went down hill. He's to big to sleep with us I don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What exactly is he afraid of?
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 6:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• On super nanny they said have the same bedtime every night. Put him in bed sit next to the bed and every ten min go closer to the door if he gets out put him back in don't give in. Don't talk to him or look at him. Just sit there quietly no matter what he says or how much he cries. It really worked on like five episodes of super nanny. It's rough but it works. He will probably cry etc. Do it everynight till he realizes your not giving in. He will see you there so he shouldn't be afraid.
    amisha

Answer by amisha at 6:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing so Good Luck to you!!!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 3:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter slep with me until she was 5 years old. I stuck with it, it is really hard to hear them cry, but I told her she wasn't allowed out of her room, but to go to the bathroom. I gave her a stuffy, a night light, and a blanky. It took about a week to a week in half. It works trust me. don't give in at all. Even if they cry. YOu have to be serious and firm with it all. It sounds like a punishment but it isn't. If they come out of the room you simply take them back in. If you have to threaten to take away toys or not play the next day then do that. that might not sound right, but it works. My daughter is 7 now and every now and then we get the crawl into our bed thing, and I firmly say go back to your room and sleep you are to old to be in here, and she doesn't even fuss, walks right back to her room.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I've used the super nanny technique with my 2 year old. Worked great... now he goes to bed every night with out trouble! Wish I had seen the episodes before with my older kids!

As for your 5 year old... if they are used to being with someone, it can be lonely to sleep alone. Transition! Spend a while in bed with them snuggling and reading before bed. I know that I am used to sleeping with my husband, and when he is gone I do not sleep very well at all. It would make sense that the same would hold true for a child used to being with another person during the night...
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009