What am I supposed to do?

My daughter is 6 and she ALWAYS has her way. My husband is spoiling her and he can't see it. He always let her have her way- it what she wants, play as much as she wants, go to bed any time she wants. Her wish is his command! She also gets away with anything! Whatever she does dh says "never mind, she's just a kid". And when I punish her or yell at her he always says, in a calm way, "calm down girls, no yelling in this house". He also buys her new stuff EVERY DAY! Clothes, toys... Whatever she wants!

She's really a spoilt kid, one of those no relative wants to babysit or visit. And he just can't see it! I don't want her to grow up and think life is like that cause it's not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow.  This does not make a good situation at all, because it also seems like there is some jealousy on your part as well.  You all need to seek some family counseling and fast.  He is creating a very bad environment for both you and your daugher.  Hostility is not much fun to live in.  

Anonymous

• Tell him he is not helping her learn to live life. Life will tell her "no" sometimes and she needs to learn how to cope with that. He's hurting her not helping her. That's not love either, it's enabling. Let her learn and grow. Let her learn the value of the items he keeps giving her. Teaching her how to be a good person is something he needs to stress. If others don't want to watch her then that should tell him that no one likes how she behaves. THAT (rejection) will hurt her more than anything. Ask him how long is he going to hurt her like that?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I have been going to college for five years to get my bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education and from my college education I can say to you that children NEED rules and boundaries in order to function normally in society when they become adults. Think about it, can you do whatever you want in society, absolutely not!! you will get in trouble ex. speeding= speeding ticket. You need to tell your husband that she needs boundaries, children believe it or not- want to have rules to follow.
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• thats howmy now 17 yr old stepson was when i met hubby, my mother in law would buy that boy anything he wanted and he would just walk around being cocky with everyone including his dad,his dad always bought him anything to.but since his grandma lost her job he hasnt been over there doesnt call her just to talk,its kind of sad,but she has been spending more time with us me and hubby and our daughter.tell ur hubby u wil yell if u want.tell him she is ur daughter too and u dont want her doing this or its her bedtime.tell him its not him that has to chase her around and get her out of this or that when she gets into stuff.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2009