Where to go for Christmas & birthday portraits?

I have done Wal-Mart., JcPenney, Portrait Innovations & olan Mills. I haven't tried Sears. In your opinion who does the best? I don't realluy like the fake backdrops! My daughter needs birthday & christmas portraits done. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• we just had ours done at olan millls and they did a great job.. i hate walmart because our always has a new person who doesnt know what they are doing.....sears is good too.. thats where my friend goes with her kids
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It depends on what I'm going to spend usually. Last year I got so busy I forgot to make an appt. I thought we were not going to get them done. Then I remembered some cute pics my bff has of her twins. They were taken at Target. They are probably the nicest portraits for the least amount of money. If I'm looking to spend a lot and want excellent portraits we go to Kiddie Kandids
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Olan Mills took some cute ones of my son last year. I wouldn't recommend the walmart here. The pictures turn out ok, but the photographers here seem to be all about the paycheck. They don't take hardly any time with their costumers. I don't have experience with the other places.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I have had great luck with Target. Not allTargets have a portriat studio, but you can look to see if one in your area does.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Babies R Us! I just left there. They did a fabulous job on my daughter's Christmas pictures. Best part no waiting for pics to be developed, it took half an hour and we were on our way. They also gave me envelopes.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I absolutely love sears. I have went and had my daughters pictures done there every month that she has been alive. If you go on their website they have tons of coupons to print off. If you become a super saver, which will cost you $10 a year, you will get one free 8x10 at every portrait session. Monday's through Thursday's are buy one get one free, so no matter what you buy, you get an extra one for free. When I had my daughter's X-mas pictures done, they also gave me 10 free X-mas cards with envelopes. After you purchase your pictures, you will get them in exactly 10 days and the portrait studio will print off 5 more sheets, one being a calendar, one in sepia, one in black and white, and one 5x7 with four wallets all for $25. I cannot believe you have not went there yet. Yes they have lots of backgrounds but they do run lots of specials, for example, her last pictures santa was there so I didn't have to "go find a santa"
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you have extra money, I would ask around and find a professional photographer (not that the chain photographers aren't professional, but someone with their own studio) and have him/her do it. I have two friends that are photographers and their pictures are always phenomenal! It's just a shame neither of them live near us. One did do free pregnancy portraits for me, though. We had to drive 5 hours and stay the night, but that's still cheaper than if we had had to pay him.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Portrait Innovations are great; they were so busy that I just went to Target as usual. I went on a Sunday morning and did not have to wait. My Target portraits always turn out well, but if you use frame ornaments you will likely have to order a sheet of the smaller wallet size. I refuse to go to Walmart anymore; also, they charge a sitting fee for more than one person on their sale package.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• the portrait kids studio. they do a good job with decent props. but are toooo expensive!
    we always use Wal-Mart. from now on i'm bringning my own props those. theirs are dirty!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I used to go to sears all the time but then I had one to many bad experiences that I stopped. I am sure that they are not all the same but the sears here is way too concerned about making money and not about the customer. Usually when I go I know exactly what pictures I want (sometimes I want the kids together, sometimes apart depending on what the pictures are for) and they just do not listen. My kids get grouchy because they take so long because they take so many unneeded pictures. Anyway, I now go to portrait people. They are more expensive but they only take what I ask them to and coupons are almost always available. Also they don't take the time to really pose the kids, they just shoot. The pictures turn out so much more natural and my boys love going to get their picture taken.
    Anonymous