muslim mama's....question about reading the quran.

i've read bits & pieces of the quran before, i have the english translation but i was wondering if i wanted to read the entire quran should i start at the 1st page or if there was a certain way to read it. i'm sorry if my question sounds dumb, but i just wanted to know what was the best way to get started. thanks!

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There really isn't a special order. You can read whatever you like. However the shorter surahs(chapters) in the back were revealed first to the pagans calling them to worship one God. When i first started to read it.... i used to jump here and there.. then i started reading it from front to back ...or back to front depending on what translation of the meaning of the quran i was reading. I read it several times.. from flap to flap. whenever i finish the whole book i just start again..and i also jump around depending on what i need for the day or week. The reminder profits the believer so i remind myself to do things and about situations and how to go about them by jumping around in the Quran and reading to get inspiration to be better, do better and worship Allah. Read how ever you wish. however if you want to know what's in the whole book..then i would read from cover to cover.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• When i first read the Quran, I started at the beginning and read through to the end cos that seemed the logical thing to do. !!! LOL After reading it a couple of times , I had favourite Surahs which i would read over and over. Then i started just opening it randomly and reading whatever was in front of me. Well now I do a combination of all three.

As Sister Aasiyah says if its your intention to read the whole thing cover to cover starting at the beginning is probably the best idea . Having said that, the longer Surahs at the beginning and the shorter ones tend to be at the end. If you find yourself struggling reading it cover to cover then jump to the end and start reading some of the shorter Surahs, or try opening it randomly, dont just give up.

zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 11:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2009