How do I will know that my toddler is ready for a potty? What are a common signs that he is ready for a potty?

My son is 2 years and 2 months old. I did try potty training earlier but it was not sucssesfull, shall I try again? How do I know that my son is ready for a potty training?

Katy26

Asked by Katy26 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no success for one day doesnt mean he isnt ready! you have to be very consistant and patient. you cant simply place your son on the potty and sit there watching him expecting him to go lol (i'm not saying thats what you did)! Is he verbal? can he say poo poo or pee pee? If you ask if he just went poo or pee or has to go, does he answer yes or no? when in a diaper, does he take it off when he soils it or asks you for a new one? do you take him in the bathroom with you and explain what you are doing and he shows an interest? yes or mostly yes to any of these are good signs he is ready. There are some great potty training groups on here!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My dd was potty trained by the time she was 13 months. She told me every time before she wanted to poop and pee. That's how I new she was ready. She also didn't want to wear a diaper anymore, so that was a clear sign!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 7:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I forgot to add my story! my son is 19 months old. He isn't very verbal yet but he has showed some signs he is ready. He takes his diaper off when it is soiled and shows an interest in the potty when I sit on it. I attempted training and it wasnt successful and I gave up, but I will try again. I had him in undies all day and he didnt flinch when he pooped. I would have thought the thin fabric would have made him want them off like he does with his diaper, so I threw in the towel. I was told that this is common. He was preoccupied at the time and probably didnt focus on the poop in his undies.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• That diapers are getting to expensive to buy is one sign.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My oldest I knew when she was holding it for 4 hours. My youngest I am going to start after we get back from the holidays. She tells me that she needs a diaper change and asks to us the potty, and mimics her sister using her potty chair. And she has some control the diapers go from empty to full rather quickly and she has started over flowing at night due to holding it while awake.  That right there is my main motivation.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009