holiday spending

we dont have the money this christmas to buy everyone a gift, we just had a baby so all money and budgeting has gone to making sure we have diapers and healthcare and important stuff like that.

So we were thinking we could buy a pack of simple cards from hallmark or something and write something special in each for the special people in our lives and then we are going to make a mixture of fudge, fudge cookies, white choco-macadamia and rice krispies and give that as a gift as well.

if you received that as a gift would you like it?
I love to holiday shop for people and put a personal twist of it but Its hard when money is scarce.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Holidays

• That is a great gift - as PPs said, its tough having a newborn and being short on money at holiday time (I know - we are and have been in the same situattion). I have done the same thing the past two years - my immediate family are the only ones I BUY gifts for, and everyone else (inlaws, grandparents, people that I don't see very often) get goodies. But also as a PP said, keep in mind those who are older, w/ diabetes or trying to lose weight. There are a lot of recipes online that help you cook w/ other sweeteners that are ok for diabetes, etc. I always go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of neat little holiday tins to package everything in and make it look "festive", and add a sweet little card to top it all off. It works out great, b/c you don't have to spend much but its obvious to people that you were thinking of them, and took time to make them something!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I think that is very sweet! I would love some sweets ;) Very nice of you. I'm sure your family and friends will too. I'm sure they know that it is tough with a newborn and the expenses.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I love getting food as gifts! Especially sweets!!! To me, there is no better gift. Go with it !!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I think that sounds like a very nice idea. Although if you have anyone in your family that is seriously trying to lose weight or has diabetes you might try a healthier dessert for them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• One of my favorite gifts is from my sister, when she had no money. She wrote me the sweetest letter telling me what she appreciated about me. I still have it! (Food is always good too!!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• That sounds like a great gift, send one on over. lol
    Your family would appriciate that you thought of them, and I think everyone enjoys a tasty Holiday treat!
    I think it'll go over great!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If they don't respond sweetly to your gesture, it will tell what kind of person they really are- shallow. I would do it and see how many shallow family members and friends you have. Hopefully not too many!
    Anonymous

• I'd love it!
    we didn't have a lot of money growing up- and my mom's thing was to bake cookies for everyone...for co-workers and family members
    she still does it every year and now I do too :) (I give them to neighbors and hubby takes them to work they LOVE it)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My favorite gifts to receive actually are the cookies/sweets my friend's wife gives me every year!! :-) Go for it...I'm sure they'll love it!
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'd like that. You can buy holiday cookie platters that are pretty cute for $1 at the Dollar Tree they also have colored celephane to jazz it up with. You could always do Dollar Tree cards too... no one will probably know the difference if you spent $1 or $16 on the cards. People get it right now. Everyone is hurting for money.
    Anonymous