How can I get my 3 1/2 yr old to potty train?!

I have been trying to potty train him since he turned 2 and he REFUSES to go consistently. We've tried everything from potty charts and rewards to letting him go completely naked! Nothing works! We talk to him all the time about it and he knows the answer to where does the pee pee go, but he won't follow through and actually do it more than a few times a day. He insists on wearing pull ups which we've tried to take away. It lasted a few days with him wearing underwear and then just going totally naked, but all he did was poop and pee EVERYWHERE!!! I'm at a loss for what else to do. He should be starting VPK next year and he won't be able to if he's still in pull ups. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make him help clean up the pee and poo if he goes in his undies or on the floor. When he does use the potty give LOTS of praise and reward him. If you give him an out(pullups or diapers) then he will not potty train. Pull ups should only be used for nap and bedtime. ONLY.
    Good luck.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I know how you feel. My daughter is 3 1/2 and refuses to use the potty, she was doing good until I had my son. I thought I was the only one with a stubborn child. LOL
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 1:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think you have to take the pull-ups/diapers away and work through the messes. Keep the potty close by so you can move him there when he starts to have an accident. He will get it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Hosein-I think that might be it...he was doing well until my daughter was born and then he just became completely against the potty training and stopped. I hope your daughter gets it soon, but am also glad I'm not alone in this ;0)

Thank you ladies for the advice...I will definitely try it!
    DaciaLangford

Answer by DaciaLangford at 8:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010