Would you pay $200,000 to go to space?

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – British billionaire Sir Richard Branson will unveil a craft on Monday that could soon carry tourists on an out-of-this-world trip into space -- for a mere 200,000 dollars.

The lunar-like landscape of the Mojave desert between Los Angeles and Las Vegas will stage the roll-out of Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo (SS2), the brain child of aerospace engineer Burt Rutan.

SS2, which can carry six passengers and two pilots, plans to begin test flights next year and start commercial flights between 2011 and 2012.

Virgin Galactic, owned by Branson's Virgin Group and Abu Dhabi's Aabar Investments, says about 300 adventurers from around the world have paid a total of 40 million dollars in deposits to guarantee spots on the carbon composite wonder machine.

Is it even safe?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usspacetourism

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No I could find a better way to spend 200K
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 7:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• "Once we have routine transportation into suborbital and orbital space we will see business travel and package delivery times reduced and we will begin to see construction of large facilities in Earth orbit."

For Monday's launch, the WhiteKnightTwo mothership, which boasts a wingspan of 140 feet (42.7 meters), will carry the smaller SS2 rocket ship 50,000 feet (15.2 kilometers) into the sky before it detaches and blasts up to the brink of space.

There, the tourists can experience five minutes of weightlessness in a cabin with circular windows on the sides and the ceiling.

"As humanity eventually moves to other planets and bodies throughout the solar system, we will of course fly into -- and eventually live in -- space," predicted Chafer.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Nooo!!! That would be super scary, lol! That's simply too far away from home for me! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I can't imagine it beong 100% safe! NASA is still having many problems...KWIM???

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• NO!
    Anonymous

• If I had the money and it was safe, then yes!
    CallieLynsMommy

Answer by CallieLynsMommy at 9:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No desire to goto space...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Space holds no part of my interests, so no thanks...I know of a few sports cars I'd love to buy if I had 200,000k to throw away.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Nope.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No. I have never been interested in going to space.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009