So confused...HPTs didn't work...

Went to docs since I'd been feeling weird for many months, have been TTC for ages... Every month however I would take a HPT and it would come out neg & then a few days later I would have a light period. I went to the docs to see why I was feeling awful and apparently I'm 18 weeks pregnant & ultrasound has been done the baby's fine and well. I'm so confused. Happy...but confused. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• wow that is strange. HPT measure, as I'm sure you know, HCG levels in your system, which increases the first trimester of pregnanacy. How weird--what did your doctor tell you?
    purplemoosemom

Answer by purplemoosemom at 7:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My mom didn't get a positive urine or blood test even from the doctor until she was 5 months with me. She could feel me kicking and everything.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Congratulations!! I sort of had it happen to me with my first pregnancy. I couldn't get a positive HPT for 8 weeks. By the time I finally got a positive HPT, I'd already known for weeks via blood tests (just wanted to have the HPT for the baby book and such.) My OB never had an answer for me, but a med school friend had a theory that it had something do to with my kidneys processing/filtering urine too fast for the hCG levels to be concentrated enough to show on an HPT... or something like that! Very confusing. Like I said, that was just her theory.
    Anonymous