Bigotry in Daily Speach??

I was just reading last months Marie Claire. There was a small article about how wonderful Disney's new Black Princess is and what a triumph this is for the black community.

Now, I totally agree that it's awesome that MOST people are finally able to see past things like color, race and religion. But something that's been bothering me is this... Why is it that we are STILL using labels when talking about every day people... What I mean is like when referring to a woman in line at the grocery, why do we still feel the need to label? Black Woman, Asian Woman, Jewish Woman... Old, fat... Are we actually seeing each other as equals? Or do we continue to see color, age and religion FIRST??

What are your thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I kind of find the 'Disney's first black princess' and 'Disney's first racially mixed couple' comments a little ironic. Granted, Disney has had a lot of Caucasian princesses over the years, but they have also had Jasmine and Alladin, not to mention Ariel and Eric who weren't even the same freakin' species! I agree that if, as a society, we were REALLY past bigotry, we would not feel the need to pat ourselves on the back for how progressive we are when we take our kids to see Princess Tiana on the big screen.

At the same time, I don't think it's necessarily 'bigotry' to notice differences. People will continue to be described according to their hair, eye, skin colour... those differences do exist and to pretend they don't is ludicrous. However, if we can see those differences and not attribute any further judgements to them, we will be on our way to seeing each other as equals. IMO at least.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Lables are a necessary evil. By that I mean we need some to identify people to know who we are talking about, and the reality is being black in America is different than being white, just as being poor is different than being rich or whatever lable we are using. However, we tend not to see past those lables, to see ALL of who a person is.

For example, I know a man who has CP. If all I see is a disabled man I miss a lot about Ron. He is a father to two wonderful young women, a husband to a beautiful, smart wife, has a very promenent job in the 4th largest school district in CA. He has a wicked since of humor and he's a loyal friend. If you only see the disability you loose out on knowing a great guy.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• People will always have a label black or white rich or poor....First of all it's in on applications Are you female or male?...What's your ethnicity?....Are you an american citizen?...What's your credit score?...It goes on and on....Do you have a disability that will prevent you from doing this job?.......Even on singles site they ask what is your religion?..lol....We will never see each other as equals because our society was not designed to see each other that way....FOR EXAMPLE... I am in a store with my kids one day and an older lady came over to me and commented how beautiful the children are...I said thank you....she proceeded to ask me how long I have been there nanny.....My kids are much lighter than I am but this woman assume because I am dark skin that I am the nanny...I amused her by saying since they were born .....I moved on laughing....lol... So my opinion is that it will always exist.
    apple31

Answer by apple31 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• There is no sense of equality amongst people. when you look at the core you will see the difference emerge. you'll hear someone say, i have Black freinds or i have white freinds. which literally means nothing because my mom had those too and when they weren't around she talked about them and she kept separate dishes and utensils for them and when they came over she put out the dingy towels in the bathroom. This has taught me that face value isn't really what it is and the hidden is what really counts
    Anonymous

• uhm description maybe?
    Anonymous

• Because if there are 3 women standing "over there", you'd have to have a way to describe the one you are talking about.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It is a way to identify people and hopefully that won't be an upsetting thing someday.
    Anonymous

• I think there's a difference between using someone's traits as a generic description - who are you looking for? The short black guy with the red shirt, and using it as a qualification of an accomplishment. We never heard Neil Armstrong was the first WHITE guy to walk on the moon.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• This is totally off topic but not completely irrelevant. Disney's First Black Princess was actually Brandi in the Live Version of Rodger's and Hammerstein's TV version of Cinderella.
    Now as for the actual question, when using it as a description of a person I see no issue with it. It often helps narrow down the intended person among a large group. When used for accomplishment purposes, I agree that we should be beyond that.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Not all labels are negative. It helps identify people. We are all different these differences are good.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2009