How can i get my 4 yr old to start talking?

See my 4 yr old is not talking yet. She was a speech delay and plus she just got tubes placed in her ears back in April 2009. She talking a little bit but how can i get her to use the words at home and at school. See she does not use her words at school, so i am not sure what to do please someone help me..

lswalling

Asked by lswalling at 8:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm assuming she's been in speech therapy? Have you asked her speech therapist what they recommend? Some will recommend sign language, a PECS, or just making her use them if she wants something. All of these methods require some persistence on your part and some frustration on your daughter's part, but it's much easier to enforce now than it will be as time goes by.

Answer by missanc at 8:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If she isn't already, put her in speech. All you can really do is keep speaking to her, remind her to use her words and don't give her something unless she makes an effort to use her words. Be patient. Get everyone on the same page, she makes an effort to use her words or she doesn't' get what she wants. It may sound mean, but she has to atleast try.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You need to talk to her speech therapist about this. If she's not speaking yet even with therapy, there may be another problem that should be addressed. I'm surprised...usually they don't let it go this long. My 2 year old wasn't talking and they immediately put him in speech therapy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Has she or is she seeing a SLP?? She should be at school, if nothing else. Contact your school district about getting her tested for possible services., She needs early intervention at school and you need the support so that you know what to do. Early intervention is KEY.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 3:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2009