my son is 3 and still sleeps in my bed.

my son is 3 and still sleeps in my bed. He won't go to bed until around 11pm. This is starting to take a tole on my marriage, My husband and i have no alone time! How can i fix this?

kridi

Asked by kridi at 8:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like you will have to put your foot down and have a few sleepless nights. Set his room up with a light so he can not say he is scared of the dark. Set a bedtime and wake him up early so he will be ready for bed and if he still naps make sure it is really early in the day. Have a bedtime routine, bath, read a book IN HIS BED then big lights out at around 8. You will be putting him back in his bed alot at first but don't give in no matter how much he protests and he will protest. Keep it up and he will be in his bed soon. A big stuffed animal might help too, that gives him something to snuggle up too and you can put one of your shirts on it so he can still smell you. It will not be easy and if you give in just one night because you are so tired it will only take longer. Hang in there mom..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I would definitely go the route that midnightmama suggested. The only thing that I would add is this: put a sleeping bag on the floor in your room. If he gets up during the night you can give him the option of going back to his bed or sleeping on the floor. You don't want to make it too comfortable for him on the floor but give him the choice: his bed or floor. Give him some time to make the transition and if you get a few successful nights in the bed, you can take away the floor option in your room.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009