How bad does a LEEP procedure hurt?

My doctor gave me a script for perkaset (spelling) for the day of the procedure but I'm nursing and I don't want to have to stop for a day. I'm wondering if I could get away w/out taking a pain med, atleast a unsafe one.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2008 in Health

• i have a link to a website. This is some of the info it has on about it.

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/surgery/a/leepprocedure.htm
    LEEP uses a thin wire loop electrode which is attached to an electrosurgical generator. The generator transmits a painless electrical current that quickly cuts away the affected cervical tissue in the immediate area of the loop wire. This causes the abnormal cells to rapidly heat and burst, and separates the tissue as the loop wire moves through the cervix.

You may want to ask your doctor if it's OK to take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen before your procedure to help minimize any pain. Never take any drug before any medical procedure without explicitly asking your doctor about it. Always follow your doctors instructions for preparation for the LEEP.
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 7:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2008