kinda worried

my daughter just had her first birthday party yesterday and im just kind of worried, she still isnt walking (shes been crawling for almost 5 months), she is constantly babbling she loves to babble but only says two words, mama, dada and I dont know if its counted as a word but baba...also she wouldnt open her presents she would start to act like she was going to and then she would try to crawl away..I just worry people are always saying how alert she is and they have said that her whole life, and they are always saying how curious and intelligent she is ..but maybe its because im a first time mom but I feel like she is behind ..I feel like she should be more advanced..is she where she should be? or should I worry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YOU SHOULD NOT WORRY !!! my daughter didnt walk till 14 months sec one not till 13 months ... there are factors like race that also can effect how soon they walk ex. white baby average is 14 months aferican american is sooner ... and no babies ever have i ever seen in like a billion 1 year old parties have i been to like to open presents! you have nothing to worry about but you can always ask your dr.
    vtabeach805

Answer by vtabeach805 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Oh she sounds like she's doing just fine :) Lots and lots of babies don't walk by their first birthdays- and I'm pretty sure none of them are interested in opening presents. They don't know that there is something interesting in the boxes and there is a lot of other excitement to get their interest. If she is interested in the world around her, and is trying to get around on her own then she is doing just fine. She'll walk when she's ready. I have a friend who has a 16 month old boy who just started walking. She sounds like she is interacting with you and interested in moving around. I don't think you have any cause to worry :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Lots of kids don't walk before their first birthday. The present thing is not at all unusual. They just don't 'get it' yet. Wait when she's 3 and you can't keep her out of them. You can help develpoe language skills with her by doing a couple of things you're probably already doing. Read to her, every single day. Ask her to point to things on the page..like "show me the ball. Even her pointing it out helps develope language later. Talk, talk, talk to her. Play games and have her just name..anything and everything. Praise all attempts. Most of all relax.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My son didn't walk until 14 months. And the only interest he had in presents at his first birthday was playing with the toy inside; if he couldn't see the toy, he didn't care about it, so no unwrapping presents for him. Even at his second birthday he wasn't very interested; at 2.5, this Christmas is the first time I'm sure he'll understand the concept of unwrapping the present because there's something else there.

And at a year, our pedi said he was looking for one or two words and babble (especially mama, dada, baba, that kind of thing, with the same syllable being repeated).

If you're concerned, bring it up with the pedi. But it doesn't sound like there's reason for concern.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• u sound like me 5 months ago, my DD is now 17 months, @ her first bday party she wasnt walkng,only saud mama, and papa(dad in spanish) she didnt clap that much, and she just wouldnt try to say anything i would ask her to she would only clap and stuff when SHE wanted to, i too was worried but she started walking 1 1/2 month after her bday, and then soon she was saying other words its like all of a sudden she got the hang of it.......dont worry each child is different, trust me i too am a 1st time mom so i understand
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• oh yeah she claps ALL the time, she LOVES to clap, but its usually only when she wants to..sometimes she will do it when I play patty cake but not all the time..I also worried because she isnt waving ur pointing..I keep trying to get her to but she wont
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt worry! my friends son is 14 months old and just now is walking, a little bit. as for the presents, i'm sure there was a lot going on! were there a lot of people there? lots of stimulus? She was probably distracted! many babies that age dont focus on one thing for a long period of time! When my son turned 1 he definately didnt focus on one thing for a long period of time. he was surrounded by people and lots of wrapping paper and boxes, new toys, music and laughter! dont worry about verbal skills so much at this age! just keep encouraging her! read to her, point to things and label them...she will show interest and respond when she is ready! my son is 19 m/o and just now really starting to verbally communicate. his dr. wants us to go to speech therapy, but he isnt delayed at all....just taking him time
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• my son doesnt point either! he is just now starting to a little bit. SO and I point to things all the time! just encourage her! you can even hold her hand and point to objects in books! and point to everything and make sure she sees you.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• She isn't behind. My son could care less about opening his presents on his first birthday. All he wanted to do was chew on the tags. He didn't start walking until we moved into our new house and that was a few weeks after he turned one. One day he just got up and took off. He was a pro just like that. Not every baby starts walking and/or talking by a year old. Some don't have a full vocabulary until they're two even three years old. Every child is different. She'll get the hang of it all when she's ready.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son also just celebrated his first birthday on thanksgiving. And he is not walking yet either. No need to be concerned. The doctor told me its completely normal. Every baby will do it when theyre ready and some wont even walk until the hit 18 months. A lot of my friends babies who are younger than my son have been walking for months. but I try not to let it bother me. He is extremely smart, and hits all of his milestones, hes just scared. Give her some time.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2009