Question for experienced moms,

my 7 month old has a very phlemy cough, no fever is eating and playing like normal. At what point should I get concerned (this is day 2)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my experience (4 kids, youngest is almost 3) be concerned when baby stops drinking/is getting dehydrated, starts running a fever over 102, gets lethargic, wheezes, seems to have trouble breathing, coughs enough to vomit a few times, has the cough for a week.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon. Unless there are other symptoms that worry you, a cough probably isn't anything to be concerned about. I know when I get a cough, it lasts forever, even if my cold or what-have-you has been gone for a week or more. That's usually the last symptom to go away, and sometimes the only symptom, especially if it's due to allergy-/weather-induced congestion.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If your baby get very lethargic or spikes a fever over 104, then you can worry.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• my son (6 months) had a cold & we brought him to the DR & he gave medicine for his cough because it was in his chest. we gave him the medicine for 5 days and his cough was gone.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• be concerned if the phlem turns yellow or green it is a sign of infection and will need to be put on anti-bac. as long as he is drinking and eating and playing just keep a close eye for any changes--if you get concerned all the doctor and talk to the nurse they are always willing to help
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009