What is a good way to relieve constipation? tmi!

I had surgery this week and have been on percocet. The medicine has caused me to become very constipated, it's awful. I actually sat on the toilet for 4 hours last night because it was basically leaking, it was gross. I felt like I was going to vomit from the pain. I've tried Ex-Lax before and that made it worse, I was thinking about trying prune juice but does it actually work?

I'm going off the Percocet and taking Vicodin instead, even though my leg will still hurt!

CallieLynsMommy

Asked by CallieLynsMommy at 9:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Health

• My MIL swore by prune juice, so it works. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My DS 2 takes miralax and that works pretty well.
    ZachsMom325

Answer by ZachsMom325 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you don't normally drink coffee, or even cola (not diet), drink some. Eat oranges or grapefruit. Eat apples (doesn't work as well but helps). Mylanta (milk of magnesia - 4 tablespoons and you'll go, I had to do it after having my kids).
    Anonymous

• prune juice and apple juice and tons of liquids. Yes...prune juice does work. After my c sections I had constipation and my mom would feed me prunes.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• yep they all work/ stool softners
    Anonymous

• Pruce juice or prunes. Lots of fresh fruits & veggies.
    Anonymous

• Come on ladies... Why did we water down the baby's apple juice? Because It causes loose bowels right? You can try eating a can of corn it is a natural Laxitive and taists good at the same time or you can go to the drug store and get a bottle of magnisium citrate from the pharmacy. It taists like #hit but it will work in short order. You do not have to drink near as much as the directions say just down a few gulps the best you can and do it again the next day or when ever you get the courage to drink the nasty stuff again....... It is a garuntee work!!! It may work the first time but if it doesn't trust me it will.....
    colormehappy653

Answer by colormehappy653 at 3:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Lots of water, whole grains, legumes, fruits (not banana), vegetables; no dairy, little or no meat.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• KIWI!!!!!! Peel the skin and eat the whole thing, it is recommended for post op. You should eat at least 3 of them every morning until constipation subsides. Good Luck!!
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2009