About Christmas Dinner

Ever since we had our son we host Christmas day dinner at our house. We always have the same foods we have during Thanksgiving and that's fine with me.
My question is- what can we do special for desserts? I'm tired of the apple and pumpkin pies. I want something "wow".
Must be easy to make and please tell me how to make it or where to find out how make it!
Happy holidays from our family to yours!

john2007

Asked by john2007 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How about a red velvet cake? There's tons of recipes on allrecipes.com or you could just buy it at the grocery store.
    Anonymous

• http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/White-Christmas-Cake-2
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Layered-Carrot-Cake
    http://www.tasteofhome.com
    It's a great website, and the recipes are easy to make!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We make little individual sized cheesecakes with cherries....delicious. Just buy the Jello No bake Cheesecake and put them in cupcake wrappers. They are very pretty too :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• thanks for the ideas. keep them coming!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• cranberry swirl cheesecake - recipe on my blog Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes

Jello poke cake made with white cake mix and one layer with green jello, other layer with red jello, "frost" with Cool Whip

snowman cake made with different size round layers (see my profile for pic)

Holiday trifle made with layers of pound cake, raspberry filling & custard pudding and topped with Cool whip

Individual meringue cups filled with cherry pie filling

I can help with recipes if you need it!

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• HONEY CAKE WITH CARAMELIZED PEARS
    7/8 cup unbleached flour
    3/8 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup date sugar (I use succanat, you can also light brown sugar)
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flavorful honey
    1/4 cup milk or cream
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter (cooled)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a six-inch springform pan and dust with flour. Place it on a piece of foil and wrap the foil up around the edges to prevent any drips from the pan. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside. Mix egg and date sugar on high speed in an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or until pale and thick. In another bowl, whisk together honey, milk, butter and zest. With the mixer set on low, add honey mixture to egg mixture and mix until combined.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Add half the flour mixture and mix until smooth, then mix in the other half. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake about 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
    Let cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen and remove the sides of the pan.
    Transfer to a platter and top with caramelized pears. Serve with whipped cream.
    CARAMELIZED PEARS
    1 tsp butter
    2 tsp evaporated cane juice (you can use any dry sugar)
    3/4 pound pears, cut into wedges or chunks
    2 tablespoons flavorful honey
    Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until it is almost dissolved. Add pears and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and golden, about 15 minutes. Add honey and cook, stirring constantly, until pears are coated and very soft, about another 3 to 5 minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2009