My 16 month old has had a non-stop runny nose for a week now............

At first I thought he was just teething because he was drooling alot as well. I called his doc last week and she said to just use saline nose drops, which I have been. When I aspirate his nose in the morning though, yellowish and sometimes bloody gunk comes out now. I was told if the stuff coming out of his nose turns yellow or green to bring him in, but all day log it is clear. It's only yellow in the morning!We are taking him to the doctor first thing in the morning, so I don't need to read "take that baby to the doctor right away". I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• YES! My 15 month old baby boy is doing the sameeeee thing right now! It's annoying! Otherwise he is fine, just a gross nose!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yes, my 4 month old has been stuffy/slight runny nose forever it seems. It also is only bad first thing in the morning. Dr said the same as yours. Could be allergies. Most likely nothing serious if it is not colored and he isn't running a fever.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Could just be allergies to? I am getting them myself bad at the moment. Even us when we have a runny nose and then sleep on it all night it's odd color in the morning. Cause it's been sitting for a while.  I have also heard that color could mean infection. But you said that it's clear during the day, So I am sure it's nothing more than a pain in the rear

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• my 12 month old has the exact same thing, i also though it was teething because of her drooling to. let me know what you find out :)
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• see, I hate taking him to the doc when I am pretty sure it is not serious or harmful. I am definitely not one of those paranoid mothers who takes their baby to the ped. for every little sniffle or cough, although his father is like that! He has not even had a fever at all, but this has been going on for a week now. I may just call his pedi. in the morning and see what she suggests.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Color doesn't have anything to do with anything. If it's only bloody when you're sucking it, either you're doing it too hard and/or too long or it's dry in the house and his blood vessels in his nose are just popping a bit because of the dry air.

It's just a runny nose. He has a cold. Humidifier, steam in the bathroom, saline drops and suction when you can SEE stuff, elevate his head when sleeping and Tylenol for discomfort...all the usual stuff.
    Anonymous

• Sinus infections can last 3-4 weeks with out being a concern and my kids often go 2-3 weeks with them and there is nothing the doc can do except tell you to aspirate, saline or breastmilk if you are nursing, suction, humidifier, etc. The blood could easily be from the dry air in the winter in most houses. I personally would not take my child in with no fever until they hit week 3 at that age or started acting out of sorts.
    Anonymous