How old is too young to attend a funeral?

My children are 10, 8, and 7... my uncle passed away and his funeral is tomorrow morning... should I take my children with?

Gremlyn

Asked by Gremlyn at 10:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that children should be part of funerals too. Its part of life. My family always took kids to funeral, but that's just me.
    Anonymous

• Ask them how they feel about going. If they are ok with it then let them go. Death is part of the Circle of Life. If they are mature enough to deal with it then it will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yes, they are old enough to go. I didn't take my 4 and 1 year-old to a funeral cuz they like to run around and are a total handfull. I think your kids are plenty old enough and I agree with pp death is a part of life.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i took my son a few weeks ago ..he just turned 5 last wk...i just didnt let him go up and get a close view of my uncles body..but i feel that its something you have to deal with in life and you shouldnt keep it from a child...and if your kids arent well behave and are gonna run around i would leave them at home just to be respectful
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• yuck I went to my first at like 23 and hated it then. I wouldn't submit your kids to that.
    Anonymous

• I had my then 5 yo and my 14 month old sons at my moms funeral. They didn't see her, we had her cremated, but they were at the funeral. As long as the kids will be able to sit quietly and respectfully for the whole thing it should be fine. As others have said it's a part of life.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My sons were 8, 10, 12 and 14 when my dad died in 2000 and they went to his funeral. They needed the closure, they were very close to my dad.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• funerals and death are all a part of life.

take them and let them have the choice of waiting in the lobby (there's usually a lot of different seating areas) if they're uncomfortable.

we took my girls to my FIL's funeral (he was cremated) after he died from cancer, they were 4 and 2, they hung out in the sitting room with my mom. you need to include the kids and let them say goodbye
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• my kids were 14, 11 and 17 months when my mom passed away. They attended both viewings and the funeral service.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• give them a choice. they are old enough to decide if they need to go or not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2009