Birthing classes

Ok so my doctor says I NEED to take classes...however everyone I ask basically who has given birth tells me they didn't take classes and they were fine. So my question is...What is a good way to prepare for child birth without taking classes? Any good websites? Or books??
Thank you. :)

JacksonMomma

Asked by JacksonMomma at 10:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on what you want out of your birth experience.
    You never HAVE to do anything, of course! But this is one way to prepare...
    Other ways to prepare: reading, videos, support groups, get a birth doula.
    I have taken many classes (sometimes pregnant, sometimes not, lol). I love that moms can get something from all methods of preparation.

What kind of birth do you prefer? Medicated, natural?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Medicated
    JacksonMomma

Answer by JacksonMomma at 10:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Women have been (and still do) give birth without classes. Our bodies know what to do. BUT in a modern world, we are far removed from how we humans are designed to birth.
    What is safest for you & your baby is a natural birth. This can take more preparation effort. Not everyone wants to birth this way. Having an understanding of the physiological process is still just as important. Knowledge is power! When you better understand what you're going through, the easier it is to accept it. To agree, to surrender. Surrender is important to deliver!)
    Medicated or not, knowing what to expect and how to handle it is still a great idea!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yeah I never did them or read a book. Get the epidural and you'll be fine.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• There are plenty of books out there. We did the classes with our first baby. Looking back on it, it was a waste of time and money, but it was fun. Just read anything you can about it. To me, the birthing classes kind of make you think you are going to have a birth plan, and things will go the way you want, but they rarely do. When I remember what I thought it was going to be like the first time and know how it turned out, it really makes me laugh! Try to go into it without expectations of what you think it will be like so that you don't end up disappointed.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Knowledge is power! You will be better able to make informed decisions, and will be so much less afraid, if you take as many classes as you can. Preparation for Childbirth, Breastfeeding, Newborn Care, etc. The most important class is infant First Aid / CPR.

This is isn't the "olden days" when women banded together to help each other give birth.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If you are considering an epidural, please research it throughly. The after effects for you and you baby can last for more than a year.

http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmepidural.htm

http://amazing-babies.com/dangers_epidurals.html

Congratulations on your new family member!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009