Best way to get my baby to not fuss during tummy time?

My daughter is 15 weeks and we've been trying really hard with the whole "tummy time" but everytime we try she fusses NONstop - she just lays there and sucks on her hand. Any advise to try and get her to enjoy a little more would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• distractions are the only thing that will work.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My son hated being on his tummy too. We just did it for a few minutes at a time so he didn't get too worked up
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Maybe wait a little longer. She just might not be ready for it yet. Try around 4 months old.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• just don't .

only my middle dd liked it. the other two screamed from the instant I lay them down to the instant I rolled them over.

don't stress over it...baby will be fine without if you can't stand the screaming. why torture them?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Thank you, I appreciate it. So many people put so much pressure on "you MUST give her tummy time all the time - its crucial she gets it from the beginning" So its really nice to hear other mothers who say to wait a little longer or don't MAKE her do it. I've been told also when she's ready it'll happen.

KShealy

Answer by KShealy at 11:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Juts keep doing it for a few minutes every day... when she gains more strength to lift her head she won't mind it as much. With my son we did it 2-3 times/day and just for a couple of minutes.
    While he was there I would talk to him and lay down so he could see my face... I would sing to him and things like that.
    You can also do tummy time by lying on your back and put her on your tummy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It is important that they get tummy time. At almost 4 months, she should be at least attempting to roll over by now. Because babies are put to sleep on their backs, there is an increased chance of them choking on their spit up and they tend to develop gross motor skills more slowly because they do not develop the core strength they need by being on their tummies, learning to lift their heads and their shoulders off the ground.

If you don't give her tummy time, she'll never be "ready". Tummy time is not a developmental milestone, it is a necessity so they can HIT their developmental milestones!!! It is crucial!!! Starting early (at birth) makes it easier to do tummy time at this age. That is why everyone says to start early...so you don't have these battles.

Ask any pediatric OT or PT and they'll tell you....tummy time is necessary for all development, including speech.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Yeah you better watch out, if you don't give your baby tummy time, they will never learn how to do anything! One day you'll find yourself with a 20 year old laying on their backs not walking or talking because you did not put them on their tummies, LOL.

Seriously don't stress about it. My oldest hated tummy, so I didn't do it and she hit all her milestones early or on time and she turned out just fine. Don't let people scare you, every baby is different. 

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2009