What is the best short term contraceptive?

I thought about a diaphragm. How much are those? How effective? Also, the Depo-Prevera shot lasts three months. My husband and I have had bad luck with hormones. I was on the pill for a year and stopped taking it to get pregnant. That took almost a year. So... no pills. I don't want the IUD because that's mostly long term, yes? My husband and I had a miscarriage and want to wait a few months. We hate condoms... so that's out of the question. I was just wondering if I was missing an option?

MommyToMarsae

Asked by MommyToMarsae at 11:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The dpeo shot is hormones, and it can take some time to wear off beyond the three months. Since you don't want to use condoms or anything hormonal I'd think a diaphram would be your best bet. Either that or a sponge (do they still make those?) and a spermicidal gel. But you'd need to look into how effective those are.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Well, Depo is hormone also so it's probably going to cause you just as many problems as the pill.
    What kind of time frame are you looking at? More than a couple months, NFP can be VERY effective but you have to do it every day and you have to exercise self discipline and not have sex when you're fertile. Google "natural family planning" or read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility for more information. You have to track your temperature daily, along with other fertility indications.
    A diaphragm is about 80% effective, used with spermicidal gel. In combination with something like NFP (this would be your back up method if you just can't keep you hands off each other when you should) it's more effective than that. You have to get fitted by your doctor. Insurance covers most, if not all, of the cost.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:57 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• they did start making the sponge again..so you know.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• you do not want the depo shot ..it can take up to 2 years to get pregnant even after just one shot
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 12:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I would definitely go with a diaphragm. They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible

Call around to area pharmacies and www.plannedparenthood.org to check prices.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• http://www.pinkapple.com/Product/VCF/464/VCF-contraceptive-film.html

This is what we used and it worked great:) I know cause the first time we had intercourse without one i got pregnant LOL
    They are pricey but I prefered them. You can get them just about anywhere that sells condoms
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I will check that out Heather, thank you, everyone. I think we will check out the diaphragm as well. We finally talked about it after everything that has been happening, and we will probably wait a little longer than a few months. I had my daughter in June, got pregnant in September, and then lost it this month. I think my body would appreciate me giving it a rest. Again, though, hormones made it really hard to have our daughter, I don't want to start trying and have to go through the disappointment of not getting pregnant month after month again. Thanks!
    MommyToMarsae

Answer by MommyToMarsae at 5:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009