12months old with bad cough

My son is 12 months old. He has this bad congested cough and thick snot. He has went to the doctor and he said it was just a cold. But hes coughing so bad at night he wakes up gaging on the gunk. I have a humidifer and have tried using the lil noses and his crib is proped. Anything else I can do to help. I feel so helpless to him right now since I cant make him feel better.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has always been prone to coughs so I feel your pain. When she was young sometimes I would take her in the bathroom and create a "steamroom" with letting the shower run and not having the exhaust on. This helped loosen the congestion and give her some relief. Also, try Baby Vicks Vapor Rub (they make it in a lotion form for babies), that may help. Now that she's older I give her a little bit of straight honey and that always helps her cough but I know you aren't suppose to give honey to babies under 1 yr so you may want to ask the Dr. about that one before you try it. I hope he feels better soon!
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Keep a cool-mist humidifier as close to him as possible and use saline and the nose plunger on his nose. If you have a baby swing or bouncer that you can lie him in where he would keep propped up, that would be great to have him sleep in for tonight. Definitely do the bathroom trick. Steam it up and sit in there with him for 15 minutes and then bundle him up really well and sit outside for 5 minutes. This is advised for croup, but would work on this too. That all should keep him good for a while. Good luck and hope he feels better soon!!!!!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Great idea about the steam room. I do the same. Only hesitate about Vicks. Do the research on it. I read it's not a good thing. Forgot the details, sorry. Other than that, give it time, poor thing. My son has the same problem.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2009