If you are on PA, should you be allowed to have pets?

Feel free to be anon. I'm just curious what people honestly think on this subject.

As for myself, I know people who are not on PA, that ignore their pets, and people on PA, that take very good care of their animals. (as well as vice versa). It has come up in coversation and both sides have their arguement:
1.)The extra $20 a month isn't going to buy you a month of food in the first place, so what's the big deal?
and
2.)You are on PA because you cannot afford (due to whatever circumstance) to feed yourself/your children, so why should you be able to have pets?

What do you all think ladies? (This is supposed to be an actual discussion. No bashing please.)
What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In my opinion if you are unable to care for your pets you should give them to someone who can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I guess, i don't care what people do with their money. They only get so much to spend a month and if a pet makes them happy and that's what they choose to spend their money on, then so be it! What bothers me is when I see a homeless person with a pet! Maybe they use them for protection or found it stray and rescued it, but really?
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I was on PA (FS) for a year and just recently got off because my husband got a job. He got laid off from his previous one. I already had pets way before we were on PA and all of them were rescued, so with that said, yes I certainly think I deserved to keep my pets, even though we did have to buy food for them, we often supplemented them with scraps too, just to cut back on the cost of pet food. I really don't think it's a big deal though as fas as anyone on PA goes, and I really think you have to be a sad person to care about all the little things like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Most of my students were on PA and when I asked them to write a persuasive letter many of them chose to write how they will convince the Projects Manager to let them have a dog. :( They were the sweetest letters. Parents came to me worried that these letters would convince the manager and they would have to get their kids pets. That is, the parents used to appreciate the rule, no pets, since it helped them (financially) when it came time to tell their kids they couldn't get a dog/cat.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• OOH I see so in your opinion only rich people should be allowed to have the "luxury" of a pet??? And no not that I am on P.A. I just think this is another post along the same lines as "Should people who receive food stamps be allowed to by junk food with them?"I think that people should be able to have pets IF they can budget their income and afford to care for them. Why should poor children be denied the comfort that a dog or cat can provide? When I was growing up, there were times when my dog was the only real friend I had. I was an outcast and if it weren't for my dog, only God knows what might have become of me.IF I was to go on PA, my two collies aren't going ANYWHERE! I have owned them for 7 and 4 years. They are members of our family. Sunlight is the best watchdog I have ever seen and Teddy is sweeter than any I have ever seen!!
    I think it is NO ONE's business and that there are more important things to worry about!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Sure why not? being on PA is already depressing and it is proven that having a pet can help with those feelings.....plus I would rather see $20 a month spent on a pet rather then smokes or beer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Well you never know a persons situation.... I mean they could have easily had their tiny Chihuahua before they lost their 45,000 dollar a year job which put them on unemployment, which wasn't enough to cover their mortgage and ran out, which resulted on them going on PA and housing assistance... and if that person is like me their pet is like family and it is hard to part with. So I don't see a problem with it as long as they are using PA like it is supposed to be used (a temporary assistance). BUT if you are talking about those who have the sec 8, every kind of PA possible, 4 kids, 2 pitbulls, 3 rottweilers etc and are using PA as a source of permanent income than no I do not agree with it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• So, because I get laid off, and have to get FS and accept Unemployment, I should then get rid of my dog that I've had for 10 yrs? I will never understand some people. People who abuse/kill their own kids get treated better than people who abuse animals. Why not ask if people on PA shouldn't have to put their kids into foster care until they are back on their feet instead? I mean, if I didn't have to worry so much about the kids, (which I shouldn't have, since I get some form of PA) I wouldn't be so stressed, I wouldn't need as much PA, my utility bills would go down (fewer people in the house), and I could concentrate so much better on finding a job. Wouldn't need to worry about daycare, getting them to school and all of that. I would be in a much better frame of mind altogether!! Why didn't I think of this before???
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• 29again Hilarious!! Sarcasm appreciated!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Well, our cat has been with us for several years, I'd hate to think I would have to get rid of her if we needed PA now.
    She doesn't cost very much. We buy a high end kibble in 25 lb bags, one bag lasts almost a year, stored properly. The need for kitty litter can sneak up on you sometimes but I'd find someone needing to dispose of shredded paper and (re)train kitty to use paper instead of clay. That way, she'd only cost a few cents a day.
    As it is, I freak out enough that she's going to eat something she shouldn't and block up her insides. We can afford her daily needs and her yearly vet checks/shots but emergency surgery . . . . some weeks, we wouldn't be able to do that.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2009