Son always comes home sick when he has visitation with dad...

Every time my son comes home from his weekend visits with his father/nana he is sick. Sometimes it's just a cold (3 visits ago he had a hacking cough). But the last two visits he's came home with a fever. This time when I picked him up his nana said he had a fever since last night and all he'd ate was bacon this morning (it was 4pm when I picked him up). He had 3 reece cups and a can of cream soda in his hands; btw he's 3 yrs old. I've gave him medicine and tonight he's woke up 3 times already. The first time he woke due to feeling bad (he needed another dose of motrin) The next two times he woke in tummy pain. He was hurting so bad I felt terrible for him; I gave him a pepto tablet asked if he needed to poop he tried couldn't then the pain stopped he went to bed 30min later woke screaming in pain and I fed him some soup. He's back in bed; I gave him another tablet but how can i stop this from happening again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have the same problem with my daughter. i have come to the conclusion that it is because i have a busy house and i only go into public for nessecary things. her dad takes her to chucky chease, the mall, places that are crouded and that i am sure is where she gets sick.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• OP-Is there any way I can stop him from getting sick? Is there any thing I can do as far as his visitation goes? Can I take his dad to court for this? And on what grounds? I'm at a loss and just want my boy to be healthy. They don't make him eat and he won't because he knows he'll get junk food from them. I don't let him have soda, and ever since they found that out they've given him whole cans of pop. Plus, he told me he went hiking this weekend-it was 30 degrees here (sometimes colder no more than 34, though)! I just need advice, please.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You know..maybe it is allergies. Not seasonal allergies like most people think, but a reaction to something at his Dad's house. I'm saying this because for years my daughter would get constantly sick and more often when she was at her Dad's for the weekend. She always had a cold, cough, fever, etc. Finally at 7 yrs old I took her to a pediatric allergist and found out she was allergic to milk and chicken (which she always had in excess at her Dad's). In the last 2 yrs since taking her off milk/chicken she has not gotten sick once. No colds, no coughs, no fever. A completely different kid. So maybe try to find a pattern or something that could be setting him off when he goes there. An animal, a lot of dust, a certain food? Just a suggestion. Hope your little one feels better soon. I know how heartbreaking it can be when they are hurting and you don't know how to help!
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• He is not going to be exposed and show symptoms all in the same weekend. He might be exposed to it when he is with you and the symptoms start over the weekend.
    You need to explain the consequences of their poor choices for meals.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• In order to get visitation revoked you would have to have absolute proof that your ex is intentionally making him sick or being neglectful. Lots of parents are idiots, make bad decisions and still have rights to their children unfortunately. I think it would be a very tough battle.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree with Comfy, my daughter had similar problems and she's with us all the time. She actually just has allergies to things like dust and such (though too much milk will make her sick as well). She is on allergy medication which helps and we don't give her much milk.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Call CPS. That seems to be the generic answer for every single question involving kids and visitation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree with the other posters...
    I would first check into possible allergies... either foods, or pets, or if it's an older home molds... the symptoms frequently look like cold symptoms
    I also agree that it would be almost impossible to be exposed to an illness and present with symptoms within just a couple of days... he's probably getting sick several days prior to showing the symptoms... what is he doing 3-5 days before? Does he go to any group activities?
    Even if he is getting sick, it's not like he would be doing it on purpose and a weekend of junk foods isn't going to make him sick if he otherwise has a healthy diet.

As far as how your son is doing now... if he continues to have tummy pain you need to have it checked out. He could have appendicitis or strep (presents as tummy pain frequently in young children) especially if it's so bad he keeps waking up
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• ANON 1:06 are you being sarcastic? If so you can go somewhere else and post because your services aren't needed here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• His dad was put in jail for 9 mths and I had my son the entire time-i'm a stay at home mom, he's not in any activities, he stays home with me. The only time he's around groups are when we go to church on Sun morns but he hasn't went in 2mths. For the 9mths he was solely with me he didn't get sick once; not even the sniffles. I think it's ironic that he is always sick when he comes back; I know it's not a coincidence; it can't be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2009