Christians

A few times i have asked "If someone wanted to read the bible where would you tell them to start". Many of you agree that reading the bible from the beginning is not a good idea.

Can you tell me why? It seems like the best place to start would be at the beginning.

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I advise new Christians to read 1 John before anything else. Also, it helps to read it in the order it was written, not the order men put it in. Google chronological books of the bible reading list. Good luck.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I always pray before i open my Bible to read it. I feel the Lord will have a special message or lesson for me. You CAN get Bibles thT HELP YOU READ YOUR bIBLE IN A yEAR OR 2 YEARS(SRY bad typing tonight)
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The reason why people say not to, is because it does not apply to us, and it's law is really strict, and almost...scary to a young Christian just wanting a relationship with God. I do think it's important to read it, but I prefer reading the New Testament more than the Old Testament. It's still very good to read though, just to see how we got to where we are not, and how is was then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• ...where we are NOW........I meant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree, avoid starting from the beginning. I have been a christian since I was little but every time I try to start from the beggining, I get stuck. THERE are SOOOOO many names that by the time you finish going through it, your motivation decreased
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i would tell someone to start in proverbs...and read one passage everyday, afterall there is one to read for every day of the month
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• So why was the bible put together in the order it is in if it was not intended to be read from cover to cover?

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Because then they'd have to admit they keep changing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Christians say to read the NT first because then you will have a better understanding of the "OT" but if you read the "OT" first and studied it from the perspective of those who follow it...Judaism, then read the NT you would see that Christianity doesn't fit as a "fulfillment" of Judaism...that's why, they want you Christian-brain-washing done first so you wont see the truth

:)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Ive never heard that reading from the beginning is not a good idea! lol Learn something new everyday. I guess you should start at the beginning. God shows that he is the almighty in the beginning and how he was challenged. There are prophecies and prophesies about Jesus in the middle-ish. Then there is Jesus. Sounds like a good order to me.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2009