Why does it take so long after taking Birth Control to get prego?

I had a miscarriage in July of 08, had regular periods until Jan. of this year. Had a period for 5 months. Started taking birth control in juneish, july and only had to take it for 3 months to get regulated. Stopped taking them in sept. and since then have been ttc. Why does it take that long for my body to get regulated? I'm just on the verge of giving up for a while or something. Or do i maybe have a hormonal imbalance and i may need something to help me?

DisturbedMind20

Asked by DisturbedMind20 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• What most people don't understand about hormonal BC is that it creates an *artificial* cycle. It is not *your* cycle, it is the hormones you take every day. This is why it's so important to take them at the same time every day; if you don't, your real cycle tries to butt in and take over.
    Right now your body is terribly confused. A year ago, you were pregnant. Than you had the miscarriage. Then you took artificial hormones. Now you're off them again. Your body has NO idea what's going on right now!
    Give yourself some time. Coming off hormonal BC takes some time under the best circumstances and with what you've gone through in the last year, it's just going to take a little time.
    Consider using the techniques of NFP (natural family planning) just to learn your body's habits. You can Google the term or look up the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• that helps me but im just very upset about it taking so long...it makes me think that i cant ever get pregnant again..but thank you
    DisturbedMind20

Answer by DisturbedMind20 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I understand. I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant before my son. For me, it was horribly irregular cycles that I never mentioned to anybody. When I finally did bring it up to a gyn, after 18 months of trying, she sent me off to fertility the same day. She also had my thyroid tested. Two weeks later, I was on thyroid supplements, two weeks after that, I was pregnant, and a week after finding out about the pregnancy, I miscarried. It took three months for my cycle to come back! I felt completely, totally broken during that time. But then I had a normal (for the first time in my life) cycle, and a month after that, I was pregnant. And now, my daughter was a pleasant surprise we weren't expecting quite so soon.
    Take good care of your body, eat well, stay active, try not to stress too much about TTC'ing (hard I know) and if you're still not having normal cycles in a few months, talk to your OB about what to do next.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It's not taking a long time if you only came off bcps in September. It takes a cycle or two for your body to come back to normal after stopping them. That would be about now. Then, for a normal, healthy couple, the chances of conceiving in any given month is only around 20% per a fertility doc I saw a few years ago. You're setting your expectations too high. Just go with the flow, relax, and let things happen on their own time.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• their not high its just i dont understand why its taking so long...and it makes me have doubts about myself getting pg again
    DisturbedMind20

Answer by DisturbedMind20 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009