organizing pictures

How do you organize all your digital family pics? Do you upload them to any particular site? Do you order prints? How often? I have a TON of pics and DS is 23 months old I was pretty good at organizing them online for awhile and now I have fallen behind. My Mom still has all our pics in a box...so, I really try hard to be ultra organized with them but it is so overwhelming now that I am behind. I would upload them and date them online accordingly and every 3-6 months order a whole bunch of prints and then mark the dates on those. I have a box of 300 prints to be dated and about 8-12 months of pics to be uploaded....aaaargh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• i dont organize them online any more bc i have to many. i have a folder for my daughter, one for family, one for each of my nieces, and one for dh's family. from there i go by year, then month. its the only way i stay sane!

i do some digital scrapbooking w mypublisher or picaboo, and the prints go into slot alnums until i have time to actually chronicle them.

w my camera thereis automatically a date stamp on the file, but not on the picture itself. and when i have them printed, it has the date i printed it on the back which helps.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• That's what I need the date printed on the back is that because of a certain feature on the camera? I have all the pics in folders on the comp ( well, external harddrive...which is why I'm so behind DH has to put them on the comp) but I was uploading them to snapfish so everyone in the fam had access which was pointless but it was easier so when I ordered they were already there. The digital scrapbooking how does that work? thanks!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i just keep a file on my computer...everytime i upload them i put them in a folder and date them with the correct date they were taken...and then when theyre in that folder i number them so they are in the right order...and then when i get them printed, i just do it online at walmart.com...and on the back of the printed picks from walmart they are all dated with whatever i tell it to say..its perfect!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I used to use walmart but I felt their prints weren't too good so I switched to snapfish... not much better....but, is taht an option to have the date printed on the back how do you do that? thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have mine all dated and separated in a folder on our computer and every month has its own photo album. My husband grandpa in Utah has HUNDREDS of albums all organized and separated :)

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I just keep them on my hard drive (backed up on an external drive). they are organized by child, event and then year in different folders. They are also all uploaded into my Photoshop Elements organizer so I can easily access and find what i'm looking for.
    I rarely print any but I do scrapbook on my computer and print off the pages I make (when I have ink).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Since I've only got one child, I've got it easier. What I do is organize by month. When I upload them, I change the name for how old my daughter is. for example, I'm on 24month001.jpg. 24 month is her age, and 001 is the first photo I took of her that month. (Once I hit about age 3 or 4, I'm going to keep track by age by years instead of months.) Scanner and Camera wizard with XP allows you to change the 24 month part and numbers them itself. If you have multiple kids, I suggest naming it something like: (EG: Joe12year001.jpg) Reason why I don't do dates is that my camera includes dates within the file's information.

As for size, I have a couple of folders. One is original size pics. I always hold onto originals (and store them off-site too) A second one for ones I've edited for email (changed the 300 dpi to 72, cropped, etc). ---
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 11:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have one final folder for getting prints with. I don't have a heck of a lot of money to go get prints of every pic I take so I am veeeery picky with which ones I get printed up. Again, I have to change sizes so they'll print up right. (People having issues with wal-mart, you need to be sure if you're getting digital prints, you request digital prints... there is a size difference vs. the traditional 35mm film! They also will re-size, so if your image is large enough for 8x10 and you're asking for 4x6, you're going to have unwanted cropping!)

My process is that I never go a month without uploading photos onto my computer. I also am not a super-huge shutter bug either, so I never really have more than 30 or so pics to upload. I send pics over email and if anyone likes any that they want prints of, that's the only way I ever order prints.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 11:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• DH organizes them on the comp and also puts them on a external hard drive...and same thing a seperate folder for the "altered" pics...lol. The problem I'm having is organizing them after onto snapfish and then dating them afer printing. I need to get that feature on my camera that dates them automatically. They are dated on the comp and if not if I pass over the pic with the mouse it will show exactly when it was taken. But, because my Mom was SOOOO bad at organizing and dating pics and I have no idea how old I was in any....lol...I try to be more organized but with moving and such I fell behind and I'm wondering if there is an easier way. I will look into the date stamping feature as well as the digital scrapbooking. I know what you mean about making sure you order the right digital pics from walmart but even so they still came out wrong:-( I had to go into the store and have them redone. Thanks ladies for all your input!
    Anonymous